2012 suburban leak help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

provokaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so i have a leak that is on the pillars where the footwell's are. i dont know exactly where the water is coming from but it puddles there and then covers the entire floor. fun part is i had this leak on the passenger side and it just randomly stoped one day and moved to the driver side which previously didn't have a leak. same spot both sides. from what i've read these things can have a million leak spots which is kind of intimidating to deal with lol. looking for input/help anything is appreciated.

edit: i've replaced all door rubbers (done by a body shop) i've had both a body shop and a good mechanic i know look at it.. none of them can find the leak

cs15dah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not even at the XM antenna? Does the 2012 have the antenna in the same spot as the 2015+ models?

OP
OP
P

provokaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where's the XM antenna at? i know there's a shark fin up top that's supposably can leak. aswell as a firewall spot where i think.... the sunroof hoses empty out through the firewall. i've read there's also a possibility of a leak in the insulation nere the hinge of the door. aswell as along the windshield. the thought of taking 3423423 things apart to fix this leak is ugh lol specially in the winter

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a sun roof? If so, might try and push a length of string trimmer line down the two drain holes at the front corners of the gutter. They can get plugged.

OP
OP
P

provokaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a sun roof? If so, might try and push a length of string trimmer line down the two drain holes at the front corners of the gutter. They can get plugged.
Alright, the body shop and mechanic both said the lines are okay but maybe there full of shit haha. My gut tells me it's sunroof because it's on the a pillar on both sides. Last year it was passanger then it went away for a bit now it's driver side. As far as I know sunroof drains to those areas on both sides. Do you clean them from the sunroof or from the firewall side?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, the body shop and mechanic both said the lines are okay but maybe there full of shit haha. My gut tells me it's sunroof because it's on the a pillar on both sides. Last year it was passanger then it went away for a bit now it's driver side. As far as I know sunroof drains to those areas on both sides. Do you clean them from the sunroof or from the firewall side?
I typically clean from the top by running a length of string trimmer line, .095” is what typically have on hand, down the tubes.

Might also check to make sure the lines haven’t separated at the head liner. If I recall, you can pull the trim piece off from around your sunroof opening and pull the headliner down a little and reach your hand in to feel.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2009. It ended up being the shark fin antenna above the drivers seat area. It has a ****** little gasket that compresses over time and then can weep. I also had water on the passenger side and that was from the A/C drain backing up into the cabin.

That thing was a total POS and almost cured me of GM suvs......

OP
OP
P

provokaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2009. It ended up being the shark fin antenna above the drivers seat area. It has a ****** little gasket that compresses over time and then can weep. I also had water on the passenger side and that was from the A/C drain backing up into the cabin.

That thing was a total POS and almost cured me of GM suvs......
yeah i heard about the sharkfin, it's pouring out today so i dont get to check anything... one would think it'd be a great time to go look but ive sat in the truck in a thunderstorm before and seen no water until the rug was wet lol. i'm planning to go through everyones suggestions and start knocking them off the list 1 by 1 until i find a fix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17