2012 Rear Escalade Bumper With Dual Tips - Part numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 2-3 people who have done this rear bumper with keeping their spare. They say their tire isn't getting affected by it. I guess only time will tell. I'd hate to do all the work to keep the spare, and then after months of daily driving, the go to use their spare and it's all warped or a lump in it or even worse they start to drive on the spare and it pops too.

KennyK

Reaction score
There are 2-3 people who have done this rear bumper with keeping their spare. They say their tire isn't getting affected by it. I guess only time will tell. I'd hate to do all the work to keep the spare, and then after months of daily driving, the go to use their spare and it's all warped or a lump in it or even worse they start to drive on the spare and it pops too.

I really don't think the exhaust get that hot back there but I might be wrong
Anyway when people put that wrap on there headers it drastically cools them
And that's on headers

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

If that pipe gets that hot why it doesn't melt the rubber hangers it hooks 2

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all that's a different type of rubber compound on the hangers than on a tire. One thing you can be sure of is that GM will not spend the extra $ to put one part more on a vehicle than they need to, because that translates to huge money in extra costs over time. So if they deem it necessary to protect the spare of all these SUVs with a heat shield it's because it is necessary. And that's at stock spacing which has more clearance than any custom setup would with the spare and two pipes.

I dunno, both my old Tahoe Hybrid and my current Escalade came without a spare and with the emergency tire repair kit. It's as useful (if not more) than a spare should AAA be beyond reach for some reason ... plus not having a spare saves a couple of bucks in gas over time.

But it's your truck and if you feel like rolling the dice that it's worth going through all this extra trouble and expense to add a spare that might or might not be functional when you need it it's up to you. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the emergency tire kit to be sure ... an extinguisher might also be a good idea.

KennyK

Reaction score
First of all that's a different type of rubber compound on the hangers than on a tire. One thing you can be sure of is that GM will not spend the extra $ to put one part more on a vehicle than they need to, because that translates to huge money in extra costs over time. So if they deem it necessary to protect the spare of all these SUVs with a heat shield it's because it is necessary. And that's at stock spacing which has more clearance than any custom setup would with the spare and two pipes.

I dunno, both my old Tahoe Hybrid and my current Escalade came without a spare and with the emergency tire repair kit. It's as useful (if not more) than a spare should AAA be beyond reach for some reason ... plus not having a spare saves a couple of bucks in gas over time.

But it's your truck and if you feel like rolling the dice that it's worth going through all this extra trouble and expense to add a spare that might or might not be functional when you need it it's up to you. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the emergency tire kit to be sure ... an extinguisher might also be a good idea.
Lol yea I hear you

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who else besides esca2012? Just curious. Would like to see their installs and feedback.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who else besides esca2012? Just curious. Would like to see their installs and feedback.

I think it was in the same thread . Geoking - Lac-caddy

2013 Escalade ESV... Dual Exhaust or Full Size Spare Tire???

no more pics though...

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Amazing how many first time posters immediately stir up this issue. :secret:

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sorry if I offended you
Thought that's what forums are for 2 talk about things

You didn't offend him. He was the first on the forum to do this mod on a Chevy. I was the first on a GMC. He was just saying that because you're not the first new person to the forums to ask why it can't be done. If you knew the story behind it, you'd understand.

If you're 100% wanting to do this with the spare tire, just do it and have the exhaust shop bend the pipes way out of the way, put a heat shield up (even though there is already a heat shield protecting the spare from your OEM exhaust, and wrap the pipes. The worst that could happen is you put the spare on when you need it, and try to drive and it fails. It's up to you if it's worth the money and trouble to hope/guess if works.

KennyK

Reaction score
You didn't offend him. He was the first on the forum to do this mod on a Chevy. I was the first on a GMC. He was just saying that because you're not the first new person to the forums to ask why it can't be done. If you knew the story behind it, you'd understand.

If you're 100% wanting to do this with the spare tire, just do it and have the exhaust shop bend the pipes way out of the way, put a heat shield up (even though there is already a heat shield protecting the spare from your OEM exhaust, and wrap the pipes. The worst that could happen is you put the spare on when you need it, and try to drive and it fails. It's up to you if it's worth the money and trouble to hope/guess if works.

i would be loosing more time than anything because i do all my work myself
i just think when my wife is towing the car trailer going 2 shows a tow truck isn't going 2 help the situation that much that is y i would like 2 keep the spare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdadair

Latest posts