2011 Tahoe Z71 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air bags did deploy.

DSlNNf3_d.jpg

They didn’t tell me if there was frame damage, basically just “it’s totaled.” The brush guard and front end were destroyed, hoses were broken and liquids were leaking, the passenger door couldn’t open. They gave me $5k over kbb value so even though I loved that truck I’m not too upset in hindsight. It definitely reduces anxiety having a Tahoe with half the mileage now—I’m not constantly waiting for something to break.

Thank you. This is my only concern with front brush/push bumpers. Handled a crash with a newer Explorer with push bumper.. and no airbag deployment. Not saying it was or was not a brush guard issue. I just don't have enough evidence to say one way or the other.

Considering one for my own Suburban.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of power benefits does this intake give?

Not sure what the numbers are, but the throttle response seems to be improved. Feels like I’ve got a little more “get up and go” now.

Gave the Hoe a fresh wash today.
cl3lrh2_d.jpg

I picked up a set of Mother’s clay bars and some turtle wax scratch remover. The clay bars work wonders, especially behind the rear wheels where lots of dirt and grime gets kicked up onto the panel. Unfortunately though those damn scratches on the doors are still there. They seem to be getting better though so I think it’s just a matter of putting in more elbow grease. I’m planning on picking up one of those microfiber disks that I can attach to my drill or an angle grinder to see if I can buff those scratches out for good.

I also decided to replace a burnt out daytime running light and it turned into kind of a pain in the ass. I had some leftover 3157 bulbs from my reverse lights after installing LEDs a few weeks ago so I decided to use one of them. Big mistake—it didn’t have that plastic clip on the bottom so it didn’t sit tightly in the socket and this happened:

pZ9sUV2_d.jpg

wAxG9iX_d.jpg

It took me forever to get that bulb out. I ended up using chopsticks and packing tape to get it.

I eventually got it out and swung by Walmart for a new bulb. I didn’t go crazy with LEDs or anything because I didn’t want the DRLs to be too bright. The LEDs I’ve got in my reverse lights would definitely be too much.

Finally got the bulb installed:
jinUeXw_d.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, my wife just got me this Apple CarPlay head unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-...1-2676-104-3&vehicleName=2011+Chevrolet+Tahoe

Has anyone ever installed one of these? Trying to figure out what accessories I need to get with it. Apparently it requires all sorts of wire harnesses and bypasses and whatnot. I think I can handle the installation, I just want a list of everything I need before I start.

My Tahoe has the Bose system and DVD player.

ZACHBORIS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-...1-2676-104-3&vehicleName=2011+Chevrolet+Tahoe

Has anyone ever installed one of these? Trying to figure out what accessories I need to get with it. Apparently it requires all sorts of wire harnesses and bypasses and whatnot. I think I can handle the installation, I just want a list of everything I need before I start.

I actually just removed this exact unit from my 09 suburban, and installed a Pioneer AVH 4200 NEX. The main reason for that was that I wanted dual zone entertainment (meaning I can play the spongebob DVDs in the rear only, and not have to watch in on my screen in the center counsel.

Do you have rear seat entertainment?

ZACHBORIS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I purchased these items, but there are other brands as well. Crutchfield. com is a great resource.

iDatalink HRN-RR-GM5+ iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module
Microbypass for dvd play while driving
Metra # 95-3305 Dash Kit for installation
Metra 40-cr10 antenna adapter. (it says Chrysler online (amazon) but fits all domestic models i believe)

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just removed this exact unit from my 09 suburban, and installed a Pioneer AVH 4200 NEX. The main reason for that was that I wanted dual zone entertainment (meaning I can play the spongebob DVDs in the rear only, and not have to watch in on my screen in the center counsel.

Do you have rear seat entertainment?

I do have a DVD player in the back. I haven’t used it yet though so I need to double check and see if it loads dvds directly or if they go into the head unit in the dash

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newest update:
It gave me some headaches but I finally got the Pioneer head unit installed. The first wiring harness I tried was defective so I couldn’t adjust the door chime volume to anything less than absolutely ear splitting, but I sent it back and got a working one.

The toughest part was making it all fit in the dash.
Ba0QGu3_d.jpg

Turns out there’s actually empty room behind the climate control and cigarette lighter units so it works best to stuff most of the wiring underneath the head unit rather than behind it.

XGOb6oi_d.jpg
Tested and adjusted before closing everything up.

XWGxsfZ_d.jpg
I ran the mic wire through the dash underneath the steering wheel so that it would come out here

UrbSxVG_d.jpg
I picked up a USB to micro USB adapter so I could hook the existing USB port in the center console to the new head unit. I originally didn’t realize Apple CarPlay wasn’t wireless but with this cable here I just plug my phone in and throw it into the center console. There’s really no need to have the phone out since CarPlay takes care of music, google maps, and any calls/texts. If I’m in a hurry I can just keep my phone in my pocket and it will still connect to the Bluetooth and play music, I just won’t have the level of control that CarPlay gives me.

73gd3eh_d.jpg
All set up and working

I need to replace the cigarette lighters since the existing ones had the covers broken off at some point. If I want I can replace them with USB plugs and even connect one to the head unit and plug my phone in right there for CarPlay to make things easier and more accessible, but it’s nice to have a clean center console with no wires

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my other daytime running light went out about two weeks ago so I finally got around to replacing that one today. Went a lot smoother than last time since I knew how to do it and didn't accidentally drop a loose bulb in the housing this time.

I also decided to replace these outlets that have been missing their covers since I've owned the truck
0ilHq17.jpg
(These pics make me realize I need to get in there with a swiffer duster)

I pretty much just followed NathanJax's guide to replace these: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/adding-usb-to-dash.41972/

I've probably taken these 7mm bolts out a dozen times recently in the process of installing that new radio
nw8Nhgy.jpg

You just unclip these wires in the back and slide the whole outlet forward through the front of the unit
HoJZl5c.jpg

Then push the outlet through the front of the old broken cover and then slide the new one on from the back
ajVefNi.jpg

The new covers are $3.62 from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NF18V8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then put it all back together
dPMm7ff.jpg

And now if I can finally get some decent weather next weekend I'm going to be installing a catch can and then taking off my wheels, painting the calipers red, and redoing the black plastidip on the rims.

the_behemoth11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The aftermarket head unit looks great! I’d love to get an Apple CarPlay compatible head unit for my LTZ. I have one in my 2016 Sonata and I can’t live without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu