Wife got in an accident with a drunk driver, the Tahoe is totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, she's okay. Some drunk guy in a Jeep decided to make a left turn across traffic without seeing her. She t-***** the jeep, spun it in a full 360, hopped a curb and came to rest on a stop sign. It was lucky the stop sign was there, otherwise she could have run into some nearby pedestrians.

When she got out of the Tahoe a woman who witnessed it came running up to tell her the accident wasn't her fault and that she saw the Jeep driving recklessly up the street. Apparently the guy was weaving through traffic, ran a red light, and had already almost caused at least one accident. He was dazed and a little bloodied up in the accident but admitted to police he had been drinking. They actually brought him over to my wife so he could apologize. He was then taken into custody and charged with DUI.

MB3KzTe.png

hDVa7Gx.jpg

The brushguard was completely destroyed so I guess it did its job and absorbed a lot of shock.

VPZl8W5.jpg
Jeep looked like the frame might have been bent

In the end I ended up upgrading to a 2011 Z71 with about half the mileage. I test drove a 2015 but it just didn't handle the same. Felt more sluggish than the NNBS Tahoes.

RvJKMyq.jpg

I'm already starting to price out all the upgrades that the previous Tahoe had: exhaust, Airaid tube, K&N filter, LED reverse lights, etc. Trying to decide if I want a brushguard again. Here we go.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Don't worry, she's okay. Some drunk guy in a Jeep decided to make a left turn across traffic without seeing her. She t-***** the jeep, spun it in a full 360, hopped a curb and came to rest on a stop sign. It was lucky the stop sign was there, otherwise she could have run into some nearby pedestrians.

When she got out of the Tahoe a woman who witnessed it came running up to tell her the accident wasn't her fault and that she saw the Jeep driving recklessly up the street. Apparently the guy was weaving through traffic, ran a red light, and had already almost caused at least one accident. He was dazed and a little bloodied up in the accident but admitted to police he had been drinking. They actually brought him over to my wife so he could apologize. He was then taken into custody and charged with DUI.

MB3KzTe.png

hDVa7Gx.jpg

The brushguard was completely destroyed so I guess it did its job and absorbed a lot of shock.

VPZl8W5.jpg
Jeep looked like the frame might have been bent

In the end I ended up upgrading to a 2011 Z71 with about half the mileage. I test drove a 2015 but it just didn't handle the same. Felt more sluggish than the NNBS Tahoes.

RvJKMyq.jpg

I'm already starting to price out all the upgrades that the previous Tahoe had: exhaust, Airaid tube, K&N filter, LED reverse lights, etc. Trying to decide if I want a brushguard again. Here we go.
Can't you grab your old stuff off the Hoe?

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that matters is that wife is okay and the drunk driver was quickly apprehended.

That's right. She seemed fairly okay at the scene as her adrenaline was pumping, but her back has been getting progressively more sore in the time since. Doctors have her taking muscle relaxers and seeing a chiropractor. We actually had to fly out of town two days after the accident for a wedding and I felt so bad because she was in pain on the first flight. Protip: Delta has much more comfortable seats than American Airlines.

Overall though it could have been a lot worse. Luckily she didn't have any blood or broken bones.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you grab your old stuff off the Hoe?

Pretty much everything in the front end was destroyed, so the brushguard and intake tube weren't an option, and it wouldn't be practical to grab the Optima battery out at the scene (if I could even get the hood open). As far as the exhaust and everything, USAA took the upgrades into account so I got some more money for them. I had also just recently replaced the front lower control arms, rotors, brake pads, and a CV axle and USAA also took that into account. All in all they actually gave me significantly more than the KBB value so I'm happy.

I am kicking myself because I totally forgot to grab my Weathertech floormats though. But I did luck out--the new Tahoe came with the Weathertech floor liners. At least I thought to take the tow-ball off and take it with me lol

fastscirocco

Reaction score
Glad your wife is OK, hope she doesn't have any long term injuries. Your truck did it's job and protected her! Getting Weathertech floor liners with your new truck is fortunate! My new to me 2014 Yukon XL Denali came with them too and I love them!

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad your wife is OK, hope she doesn't have any long term injuries. Your truck did it's job and protected her! Getting Weathertech floor liners with your new truck is fortunate! My new to me 2014 Yukon XL Denali came with them too and I love them!

Maybe I'm being overly picky but I actually preferred the all weather mats to the floor liners. The floorliner just feels too slick to me. However, the dealership cleaned the entire interior with some sort of leather treatment or something that has given everything this sort of greasy feel. It's like butter. So maybe the floor liner won't be as slick once I wipe it down.

fastscirocco

Reaction score
My Weathertech floor liners are not slick. My Yukon also came with the Weathertech cargo liner and it keeps most items from sliding on the floor. I think if you clean yours the slickness will go away.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Weathertech floor liners are not slick. My Yukon also came with the Weathertech cargo liner and it keeps most items from sliding on the floor. I think if you clean yours the slickness will go away.

Perfect, thanks.

On an unrelated note, the previous owners removed the door guards. I love the look of Tahoes without them, however it looks like the removal left some scratches. I planned on picking up some Nu Finish scratch remover since I thought that was the go-to product but it looks like Amazon no longer sells it (outside of third party) and the reviews weren't nearly as good as I expected. Is there a better product to go with?

51uN9ruc6VL._SY879_.jpg