2011 Tahoe Z71 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great work there man! Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket head unit looks great! I’d love to get an Apple CarPlay compatible head unit for my LTZ. I have one in my 2016 Sonata and I can’t live without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I had no idea it wasn’t wireless until after I got it but with the way the battery would drain it makes sense to have my phone plugged in and charging. I had a lot of hiccups getting the thing installed but now that it’s finally in there and done I’m happy with it. I also added a parking brake bypass to it which should get around maps apps not letting me input an address while driving. Not a huge issue but the bypass was only $13 so I figured why not

Last edited:

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago my wife had a flat tire so I let her take my '08 Tahoe to run some errands. Unfortunately some guy decided to get good and drunk at 7pm on a Monday and drive home, causing an accident with my wife and totaling the Tahoe. The thread with story and pics can be found here:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...h-a-drunk-driver-the-tahoe-is-totaled.110809/

Anyways, I ended up picking up a 2011 Z71 Tahoe with about half the miles of the last one (75k).

KRG4CdI.jpg

I test drove a 2015 but it just felt sluggish compared to the NNBS.

It came with captains chairs, Bose sound system, DVD player, touch screen, backup camera, sunroof, etc. Very similar features to my last Tahoe--it wasn't a Z71 and didn't have the touchscreen nav system, but other than that the last one had pretty much the same features, plus an intake/exhaust, 20" wheels, brushguard, and a nice tint. I had Weathertech allweather floormats in the last Hoe and this one came with the Weathertech floorliners. Call me crazy but I actually prefer the floormats. I'll really miss the tan interior of my last one, but I love the black exterior of the new one.

h9jXFGI.jpg

Issues I've noticed so far (all minor):
-The previous owner removed the moldings on the doors. I love the look of Tahoes without the moldings (like the PPV Tahoes), however they managed to scratch up the paint removing them. I've buffed some of the scratches out with NuFinish but I've still got some work to do before they're gone
-Rear window washer fluid doesn't spray out
-One of the daytime running lights is out
-Caps are broken off of both of the cigarette lighter plugs

Here's what I've done so far:
-Upgrade to Bosch windshield wipers
-K&N air filter
-Airaid intake tube
-Plasti dip rims black
-Upgrade reverse lights to LED projectors

And here's what I plan to do:
-Paint calipers red
-Tint
-Exhaust OR resonator delete with SLP
-Upgrade touchscreen to an aftermarket with Apple Carplay
-LED bulbs in daytime running lights
-Brushguard

A few ideas that I'm playing with but might not necessarily do:
-Black it out: black grill, smoke tail lights
-Upgrade headlights to something like this
-Lift it

Pour one out for the old Tahoe:

n1rYP.jpg

EMLLC.jpg

NsQAu2M.jpg

Did you ever find out why rear window sprayer doesn't work anymore? Mine is doing the same and I honestly haven't even looked at it yet. I'd imagine it's simply clogged or toast.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket head unit looks great! I’d love to get an Apple CarPlay compatible head unit for my LTZ. I have one in my 2016 Sonata and I can’t live without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I like it a lot so far. The head unit cost about $300, plus another $100 or so for the wiring harness, parking brake bypass and housing. I used a Metra Axxess harness but I’ve heard good things about the idatalink maestro. I think you can actually set that one up to give readings from the engine, etc.

Did you ever find out why rear window sprayer doesn't work anymore? Mine is doing the same and I honestly haven't even looked at it yet. I'd imagine it's simply clogged or toast.

Not yet. I’m assuming the line is ruptured somewhere and I just need to follow it and figure out where that is. I figure I can just hold down the button to spray the rear windshield for a little bit and then check under the truck for a puddle where it’s leaking. Unfortunately I’m going to be gone for work until the end of the month though so I won’t be able to fix it until at least August.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the wheels off to redo the plastidip and paint the calipers red today.

bua2Ys9_d.jpg

Old plastidip coming off
kkINuA1_d.jpg

It actually did some damage to the lugnut covers when it came off, which was surprising
ozFaZSM_d.jpg

The first time I plastidipped my rims I didn’t take the wheels off the truck. Taking them off and laying them down makes the plasti go on MUCH better as it’s much less likely to run
LVPa6qv_d.jpg

While the rims were drying I took a wire brush to the calipers to get them ready for the caliper paint. I noticed this rotor was looking a little concerning
D5gYwtT_d.jpg
I bought the Tahoe less than 6 months ago and it has brand new tires, so I’ve kind of assumed the brakes and rotors were fairly new as well. This was my first excuse to get the wheels off and actually take a look. The brake pads didn’t look too worn down and I couldn’t feel any sort of gouge in the rotor, but you can see that lighter colored ring on it. I’m going to keep an eye on it, but ultimately the truck brakes just fine without any symptoms of a bad rotor/bad brake pads so I’m not too worried at the moment.

Painting the calipers was actually kind of a pain in the ass since the paint didn’t want to stick to 3 out of the 4. One or two still have some spots the paint wouldn’t fill in properly but they’re out of sight. This is probably the one that turned out the best:
4hZNgMb_d.jpg

I used glossifier on the plastidip this time. It’s kind of hard to get an even coat since you can’t see it going on like the black plasti but overall it didn’t turn out too bad
xSSbu4A_d.jpg

And while in the course of doing all this, I may have discovered the cause of my squeaky suspension:
EigAhih_d.jpg

Looks like my next small project will be replacing this bushing
ypimt2p_d.jpg

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post these--replaced my front bushings and sway bar links.

715ogM8.jpg

This is what one of the old ones looked like:
UGFZNZF.jpg

My suspension still squeaks...

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastidip was starting to bubble and come off in places so I went ahead and peeled it off (minus a few spots on the lugnut covers) yesterday. Probably just going to leave it like this for awhile. If I decide I want to go back to the black I'll wait at least until spring/summer to try it again.

xOwnutI_d.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastidip was starting to bubble and come off in places so I went ahead and peeled it off (minus a few spots on the lugnut covers) yesterday. Probably just going to leave it like this for awhile. If I decide I want to go back to the black I'll wait at least until spring/summer to try it again.

xOwnutI_d.jpg

For what it's worth, I like it better like this. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3