2011 Suburban leak at firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLeithead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 Suburban leaking at the firewall. Ive water tested it and its not leaking at the windshield. It’s also not the air intake for the AC. It appears to be leaking where the front clip meets the body somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with this? What should I look for? Any help is appreciated!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 Suburban leaking at the firewall. Ive water tested it and it’s not leaking at the windshield. It’s also not the air intake for the AC. It appears to be leaking where the front clip meets the body somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with this? What should I look for? Any help is appreciated!
Need more info. What’s the fluid? Is it oily to the touch? Any smell associate with it? I assume you mean it’s finding its way into the cabin? Driver side? Pax side?

OP
OP
T

TLeithead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need more info. What’s the fluid? Is it oily to the touch? Any smell associate with it? I assume you mean it’s finding its way into the cabin? Driver side? Pax side?
It’s definitely water. I’ve been able to recreate the leak with the hose below the windshield. The water is showing up in both corners where the firewall meets the floor pan. I’ve removed all the carpet and I can see it wet in those bottom corners after 5 min of running the hose in the cowl area. Any common issues in the area?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely water. I’ve been able to recreate the leak with the hose below the windshield. The water is showing up in both corners where the firewall meets the floor pan. I’ve removed all the carpet and I can see it wet in those bottom corners after 5 min of running the hose in the cowl area. Any common issues in the area?
Mine is leaking in the same spot on the drivers side, I believe there is a seam behind the quarter panel that will need some sealant replaced, it has been posted before on here I am not sure of the exact location but I need to do mine this summer. It seems to be a somewhat common issue after some years.
maybe someone that has done it before will chime in, I will sub to this thread also

** i think is under the cowl but behind the quarter panel so I am pretty sure the quater panel has to come off

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the added details. There has been at least one other person here who noted a leak at the firewall related to a poor sealant application at the factory. I think that may be the same one @Doubeleive is thinking of also.

Here's one thread:

Another:

Another:

Another:

And another:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after reading thru those I guess I should pull the drivers pillar cover off and double check the connection for the sunroof drain, pretty sure it was fine though last time I looked when i cleaned them out as a preventative measure.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to fix mine just have put a day aside to do it, tired of my carpet being wet everytime it rains

leaks are the worst.. i chased one in my 96 for years.. it felt like it popped up out of now where. after looking and looking, it was the windshield, only water in the right top corner would run thru somewhere but not pop out till behind the dash and on the floor. I was always looking for it coming in thru the cowl.

safelight had replaced the windshield years before and all of a sudden it started, I. never connected the 2. they did pull it, had to fix the rust and then reseal and it was fixed.

I don't wish leaks on anybody. brutal they can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019