Sunroof Leaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLKish1988

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just went through my first carwash and my sunroof has a small leak. Can the seal be replaced? If so, any tips? TIA

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All sunroofs leak. They're designed with drain channels to contain/manage the leak so that water doesn't go where it shouldn't. Think of it like the rain gutters on your house.

What's likely happening is one or more of the drain tubes is clogged, causing a backup and drips into the interior. Again, just like when your gutters are clogged with leaves and they overflow and the water runs down the siding or windows.

I forget if the drain tubes are in the A or B pillars, but that's what I'd focus on first. Worst case, call the service department at a dealership and see what they'd charge.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ THIS ^^^

The drain lines are in the front corners of the gutter as Bill mentions and run down the A-pillars. I like to take a length of string trimmer line that is pretty stiff and run it down each of the drains to make sure they aren't plugged. If they are, you might need to run the line up from the bottom by the firewall and dislodge whatever is blocking it.

The next thing I would check is see if you can get a sheet of paper to slide anywhere around the sunroof easily. If so, you can try and re-align the glass to be centered in the opening. You may need to replace the gasket around the glass if that is sun-baked and not sealing properly. Fixing it is fairly straight forward. While putting the new seal on, a little spray silicone will help get the seal over the edge of the glass and engage the lip of the seal into the groove in the glass.

One other thing to look at if the above things don't fix it is the On-Star shark fin antenna. They have been known to leak as well. I would look at your antenna gasket and maybe put some silicone around the opening of the roof under the antenna.

nofaz

Reaction score
Was out with my 2013 Denali during alight rain and noticed water puddling in the passenger foot well. A little investigation revealed it was coming down
the A pillar. When we got home I pulled off the upper door trim and a pillar trim panel. There was water on the body under the cover. On a hunch I pulled down the headliner and put a small flashlight up there. Sure enough, the drain from the sunroof was pulled off. Not sure how long this had been the case but the leak had never happened before.

Sunroof Leak.jpg

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was out with my 2013 Denali during alight rain and noticed water puddling in the passenger foot well. A little investigation revealed it was coming down
the A pillar. When we got home I pulled off the upper door trim and a pillar trim panel. There was water on the body under the cover. On a hunch I pulled down the headliner and put a small flashlight up there. Sure enough, the drain from the sunroof was pulled off. Not sure how long this had been the case but the leak had never happened before.

View attachment 264611

Good Catch... Good Picture. This should help out a lot of people..
It's common on a bunch of diff models !