1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunroof Leaking!

Discussion in 'Suburban / Yukon XL / Escalade ESV' started by CLKish1988, Oct 8, 2020.

1. CLKish1988

CLKish1988 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Logan
    Just went through my first carwash and my unroof has a small leak. Can the seal be replaced? If so, any tips? TIA

2. intheburbs

intheburbs Full Access Member

Name:
    Bill
    All sunroofs leak. They're designed with drain channels to contain/manage the leak so that water doesn't go where it shouldn't. Think of it like the rain gutters on your house.

What's likely happening is one or more of the drain tubes is clogged, causing a backup and drips into the interior. Again, just like when your gutters are clogged with leaves and they overflow and the water runs down the siding or windows.

I forget if the drain tubes are in the A or B pillars, but that's what I'd focus on first. Worst case, call the service department at a dealership and see what they'd charge.

Miami-Dade likes this.
  3. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

The drain lines are in the front corners of the gutter as Bill mentions and run down the A-pillars. I like to take a length of string trimmer line that is pretty stiff and run it down each of the drains to make sure they aren't plugged. If they are, you might need to run the line up from the bottom by the firewall and dislodge whatever is blocking it.

The next thing I would check is see if you can get a sheet of paper to slide anywhere around the sunroof easily. If so, you can try and re-align the glass to be centered in the opening. You may need to replace the gasket around the glass if that is sun-baked and not sealing properly. Fixing it is fairly straight forward. While putting the new seal on, a little spray silicone will help get the seal over the edge of the glass and engage the lip of the seal into the groove in the glass.

One other thing to look at if the above things don't fix it is the On-Star shark fin antenna. They have been known to leak as well. I would look at your antenna gasket and maybe put some silicone around the opening of the roof under the antenna.

Miami-Dade likes this.
  4. CLKish1988

CLKish1988 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Logan
    I got it t figured out guys, I know it is the seal. It folded up under the glass and was letting water in...thanks for all the replies!

Miami-Dade and wjburken like this.