Please help identify what is behind this seam - water leak troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramchol76

Reaction score
I am troubleshooting rain water leak in passenger side for a while. I narrowed down to specific internal and external water intrusion spot.

When I pour water in exact spot between two wipers into the cowl, the water seeps out of the exact spot shown in first picture 'water intrusion.jpg' i.e. passenger kick area corner, can someone guide me with what is behind the water seeping spot, which area I need to further investigate. how the water poured into cowl emerges from the intrusion spot?

btw, I already removed the cowl and re-sealed the HVAC intake service access panel. the water is not leaking through fresh air intake.

also I already excluded that the water is not intruding through
1. windshield sides
2. door seal
3. door grommet
4. no sunroof
5. leaks only when rains so not from AC or coolant

thanks a lot!

water intrusion.jpg cowlwater.jpg water intrusion.jpg

Last edited:

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Capillary action can make it impossible to find, in some cases water can climb from a surface to a other.
I will recommend you looking for some trace fluid you can see with UV lights. Some plumbers have this, but pick a method that doesn't ruin paint or interior.

Otherwise you will work with this problem for weeks before you find your source to it. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramchol76

Reaction score
Capillary action can make it impossible to find, in some cases water can climb from a surface to a other.
I will recommend you looking for some trace fluid you can see with UV lights. Some plumbers have this, but pick a method that doesn't ruin paint or interior.

Otherwise you will work with this problem for weeks before you find your source to it. :)

thanks, I will look for UV light device to trace...

OP
OP
R

ramchol76

Reaction score
I would take the wiper cowl off and have a closer look from the outside could just be a open seam that needs some sealant.

I already opened and inspected visually the seam. But you are right, it might have invisible leaks as I found the seam sealant fragile. should I take away the existing seam sealant and reseal. what sealant I should use?

right now the suspect is 1 of 2
- bad seam sealant in wiper cowl (i am planning to lake some water by blocking cowl ends to test this)
- water flowing out of wiper cowl entering behind fender area

thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had to do it before but if possible (if there is room to work) I would clean off the old stuff as much as possible so you have a good clean surface and apply fresh sealant, I would pick something that will bond to metal and is watertight. maybe ask a local bodyshop what they recommend? if you have a autobody paint supply shop in your town they probably carry a commonly used sealant also that might be your best source of information for what to use.

OP
OP
R

ramchol76

Reaction score
I haven't had to do it before but if possible (if there is room to work) I would clean off the old stuff as much as possible so you have a good clean surface and apply fresh sealant, I would pick something that will bond to metal and is watertight. maybe ask a local bodyshop what they recommend? if you have a autobody paint supply shop in your town they probably carry a commonly used sealant also that might be your best source of information for what to use.

Access was a problem even to inspect it visually, I am sure it will be great challenge re-seaming it fully.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Access was a problem even to inspect it visually, I am sure it will be great challenge re-seaming it fully.
you might try a grease gun (a new one that hasn't had grease ran thru it) because they come with a hose and you can take the tip off and then you could stick the hose tip in there and hopefully get it on good enough. just an idea anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne