Driver side leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexquade

Reaction score
Hopefully this is in the correct place! My 11 XL has been having a driver side puddling issue only when it rains. Upon investigation, the padding at the firewall by the hood latch is soaked. We sprayed the windshield and checked everything, nothing. Took the hood hinge cover thing off, put a steady, slow stream into it and you can see it starting to puddle at that corner. Nothing else back there is wet but that padding, but I only stuck my fingers around the firewall access plugs (hood latch cable, wire loom, and even park brake) and felt. Nothing was wet. Headliners not wet, and the pillar isn’t wet either. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find a single thing that could cause this; everything’s either the windshield, the door seal, the door itself holding water, or the Onstar antenna leaking... Y’all have any earthly idea??

Thanks!!!

7A87F44B-47E5-48A2-A991-FB4FC1B84E87.jpeg AC2A6DD3-0F78-45B7-B4CC-83F9731C159D.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Odd, you think it’s been hit before or did u get it new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Alexquade

Alexquade

Reaction score
Odd, you think it’s been hit before or did u get it new?

Got her used in 17. I asked for a Carfax, and was never given one. They aren’t right sometimes, anyway. I noticed the wetness roughly a year ago, but have been noticing a stank for a good while. Figured it was the a/c and had the after blow feature turned on. Not sure if it was coincidence or what, but I noticed the wetness a little while after my headers were installed and thought it was just sweat from them. Someone told me about this stuff called Honda bond or another sealing agent that Toyota has that will fix it. So ima try to get my hands on either of those.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There is a really good body seal compound my shop uses that comes out identical to the seam sealers the factory uses. It’s paintable and flexes. What ur talking about is prolly the same, but diff nickname. Glad there’s no rust yet.

OP
OP
Alexquade

Alexquade

Reaction score
There is a really good body seal compound my shop uses that comes out identical to the seam sealers the factory uses. It’s paintable and flexes. What ur talking about is prolly the same, but diff nickname. Glad there’s no rust yet.

Me too. I was worried about all that rusting. Wonder if that could be causing my random Service Brake System light to come on then off then cel for map sensor? It messing with something electrical down there. Or not likely? I work for a Toyota dealership delivering parts to body shops, I’m going to ask a couple I have some trust in on how much they’d charge to fix it and guess I’ll go from there.

OP
OP
Alexquade

Alexquade

Reaction score
Next question. Should I remove that and have it completely redone? Or would I be safe just sealing over it? I’m worried it’s going to hold water behind it and start rusting.

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can not tell exactly where that is in your pic. I have same issue after it rain on driver side.

tmt502

Reaction score
I too am having an issue with wet driver side floorboard/carpet. The floor mat is not wet, just the carpet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr

Latest posts