2010 PPV rear shock install fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we were off over the holidays, we decided to do the rear shocks on the Tahoe. It now has ~130K miles on the clock, and when I had it in getting an alignment, the mechanic mentioned that the shocks were toast. I didn't think so, but since it was, at the time almost 10 years old, purchased replacement shocks to install when we had time. This was early last year some time. Since I was fairly-satisfied with the existing suspension bits, we opted for OEM shocks, so we had the Delcos sitting on the shelf when the time came.

Life got in the way, so we didn't get to this task until over the 2020 holidays. While installing the second shock, I notices a drop of oil on the ground below it, and traced that oil to the shock itself! We hadn't even cut the tie wire yet, and it was already leaking oil!!

Since we'd had the shock more than a year, I'm sure we would get push back trying to return it, so we opted to locate a replacement. We found one dealer in town with a pair on the shelf, so picked up a replacement the next day. Shortly after returning to the shop, the shock was installed and the truck was back on the ground. Like a couple of other threads mention, we discovered we'd disconnected both rear speed sensors while R&R the shocks. After those got reconnected, all the dash lights went out.

So, if you get replacement gas-charged shocks, especially OEM replacements, stand them up into the installed position and inspect for oil running down the lower tube before you leave the parts counter!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it wasn't excess oil dripping off the rod? I think it's Belltech that mentions oil dripping from the shock is normal as it's just what the rod is coated in to protect it from rust and to keep the seals from drying while the shock sits on a shelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh