2009 Tahoe Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BP RETIRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked under the truck, the filter is tight. But it might be cross-threaded or something. I cleaned the filter really well with a cloth, then ran the engine for about 10 min I'll check in a little while if oil is on the filter again. Weirdly the filter has a big letter "E" written with a white marker on the bottom of it by someone...not sure what thats supposed to mean.

Or..they put on the new oil filter and the old filter gasket stayed stuck on. This happened to me once. The old oil filter gasket seperated from the filter, and when I put the new oil filter on it would not seal tight. It would seal, but not as it should, making oil leak down the sides.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or..they put on the new oil filter and the old filter gasket stayed stuck on. This happened to me once. The old oil filter gasket seperated from the filter, and when I put the new oil filter on it would not seal tight. It would seal, but not as it should, making oil leak down the sides.

+1. This is very common.

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :Handshake:

Well it leaked a little more oil over night, the oil level on the dipstick in now towards the lower end of the normal range.

I dropped it off at an independent shop that I trust near my house.(Every dealer in town is closed on Sunday) Told them to check and see if anything is screwed up down there.

Keeping my fingers crossed!:(

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1 this has happened to me once too. I totally forgot about it. Well I hope it's something as small as that.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Tahoe back from the shop. The old filter was leaking. According to the service tech. there was no apparent reason for this other than a faulty oil filter (it was AC Delco Duraguard brand). He said it just wasn't forming a seal. I went ahead and had the oil & filter changed, the new set up is not leaking so far. I will be watching pretty closely for any leaking the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it is taken care of though. :uhoh2:

Also if the reason does indeed end up being a faulty oil filter, is it fair for me to ask the dealership to reimburse me the $75 I spent at the independent shop getting the oil & filter changed to stop the leaking?

Last edited:

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the truck fixed. Perfect example why I do all the work I can myself. "If you want it done right, do it yourself."

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also if the reason does indeed end up being a faulty oil filter, is it fair for me to ask the dealership to reimburse me the $75 I spent at the independent shop getting the oil & filter changed to stop the leaking?

Either that or reimburse you for the shoddy job they did themselves. I'd also make the mechanic come lick my driveway/garage clean, but that's just me.

OP
OP
09tahoehybrid

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either that or reimburse you for the shoddy job they did themselves. I'd also make the mechanic come lick my driveway/garage clean, but that's just me.

Haha..i got a pretty detailed invoice from the shop, so hopefully they'll pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts