2008 SSV..Help empty my wallet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hello, all, I've rejoined the GM clan with my latest project, a retired SSV, 2008. This will not be my daily, but something to take hunting and trail riding when I think pinstriping or paint damage may ensue. Being a retired border patrol truck, it's had plenty of experience with that already. Picked it up for a reasonable price with low miles and no rust on the body which is important to me. Some surface rust on the chassis but nothing I can't stop with some Fluid Film. Sorry for the crappy photo, I can't get a better one right now because it's in the shop getting the A/C tuned up.

A bit about me, I'm retired and have a lifelong obsession with 4WD vehicles, so this sort of thing is an indulgence or a hobby if you will. I do wheel my trucks in remote places all over north America, so when I build one it's got to be reliable. Most of the work I'll do myself, but some specialties like paintwork or aircon I farm out. Right now I'm loving the SSV with the utilitarian interior and plain exterior. I don't know why I never caught onto these before. My most recent GM truck was a Colorado ZR2 which I traded off because of a (ahem) bent frame.

Right now I'll be working through any reliability issues with the truck before I take up mods. It's got some things going on with ABS, stabilitrac and airbags, so I'll be working on exorcising those electronic demons before getting into mods. That's when I'll appreciate some suggestions on best practices and vendors for some mods, lifts especially. This will be my first time lifting a GM IFS so I know I've got some things to learn.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
side pic.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

More pics, please.

There are a fair number of retirees here, like myself, so you will have some company here in that area.

Any, everybody here loves to help you spend your money. :)

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hello, all, I've rejoined the GM clan with my latest project, a retired SSV, 2008. This will not be my daily, but something to take hunting and trail riding when I think pinstriping or paint damage may ensue. Being a retired border patrol truck, it's had plenty of experience with that already. Picked it up for a reasonable price with low miles and no rust on the body which is important to me. Some surface rust on the chassis but nothing I can't stop with some Fluid Film. Sorry for the crappy photo, I can't get a better one right now because it's in the shop getting the A/C tuned up.

A bit about me, I'm retired and have a lifelong obsession with 4WD vehicles, so this sort of thing is an indulgence or a hobby if you will. I do wheel my trucks in remote places all over north America, so when I build one it's got to be reliable. Most of the work I'll do myself, but some specialties like paintwork or aircon I farm out. Right now I'm loving the SSV with the utilitarian interior and plain exterior. I don't know why I never caught onto these before. My most recent GM truck was a Colorado ZR2 which I traded off because of a (ahem) bent frame.

Right now I'll be working through any reliability issues with the truck before I take up mods. It's got some things going on with ABS, stabilitrac and airbags, so I'll be working on exorcising those electronic demons before getting into mods. That's when I'll appreciate some suggestions on best practices and vendors for some mods, lifts especially. This will be my first time lifting a GM IFS so I know I've got some things to learn.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
View attachment 265300
Welcome. What rims are those? Doesn't look like the typical PPV/SSV rims.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. While I am of retirement age, I still work 44 hours a week. I have to have a way to pay for my indulgences. Tahoe's, tools, guns, food, drink, Harley's..............you get the gist.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Welcome. What rims are those? Doesn't look like the typical PPV/SSV rims.

Good question, I just assumed it's the standard issue from that generation. There were several in the lot all sporting the same wheels; just plain steelies with oval holes. I'm pretty sure someone at the dealership had painted them all fresh black because they look to be original but the paint on the outer surface looks too good. I think they're silver inside the barrel. Mine's not at home right now so I can't do any further investigation immediately.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, yes, spending OPM is soooooo much fun! Kid in a candy store fun!

Bill, where would you like to have the new performance engine, transmission and transfer case dropped off at? We just need full payment in advance, an address and someone to sign for it all.

The new differentials and entire new suspension and steering components are being located and getting ready for shipment. Sorry for the extra hazardous materials charges for the performance fluids. You understand about that right?

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Ah, @PNW VietVet I have the scars on my bank account from that sort of thing in the past.:D

I have a Jeep in the yard I refuse to disclose the amount of money spent on restoration and mods. I plead the fifth.

But a project keeps me sane. All I plan to leave as an inheritance is a bunch of toys and bills. :cheers:

The reward for me is twofold; I enjoy wrenching on vehicles at home and I enjoy taking them to remote places to explore and off-road away from the crowds.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Here's an illustration of what I'm building for. Mild to moderate wheeling and in these photos camping along the Dalton highway in AK. Reliability for me is first, second, and third priority in builds now. There's no cell phone service and no tow trucks to call. Will the Hoe be trustworthy enough to go that far? Time will tell. I used to build for high performance but that was when I recreated close to home and with a crowd of buddies to drag the dead and wounded home again. Solo exploration has changed my approach.

IMG_4157.jpg IMG_4158.jpg