2008 5.3 Hard knock on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ace16a

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife and are a looking at a 2008 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3 engine and 175,000 miles. When we first started it up, it had a really bad knock like the engine was going to jump out of truck. It stopped after 20-30 seconds and then ran smooth but had a very faint knock low on the passenger side of the engine. When we drove it it seemed to be lacking power similar to the spark retard our 05 tahoe had with a bad knock sensor so thats what I thought it was. I've done some reading and now I wonder if the dod system is having problems. Am I going in the right direction or is there something else that could be wrong. We haven't bought it yet and the salesman said I could plug my scanner into it tomorrow so is there anything I can do with the scanner to try to narrow down what the knocking issue is/was. Its a very clean, rust free truck otherwise. Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You didn't say but I am assuming there were no check engine lights after it started. May not find any codes at all and I think the salesman knows that. Since it is a cold start problem, the salesman needs to allow you to leave at a trusted/qualified shop overnight and let them diagnose the noise. You can also deduct the diagnostic fee off of the asking price if you come to a deal.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the DOD going south, or some major piston slap. I wouldn't touch it unless the price is really at a big discount. I was seeing a lot of lease returns - just before the lock down - at really good prices.

OP
OP
ace16a

ace16a

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t had time to get back and plug the scanner in yet. There were no check engine or service lights on. I think I’m just going to look for something else with the 6.2 engine on one that’s had the dod removed already. I’ll let you know if I do decide to check with the scanner. I guess if they’d take about $3000 less I’d go for it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I haven’t had time to get back and plug the scanner in yet. There were no check engine or service lights on. I think I’m just going to look for something else with the 6.2 engine on one that’s had the dod removed already. I’ll let you know if I do decide to check with the scanner. I guess if they’d take about $3000 less I’d go for it.

Oh yea, always be willing to walk away. If they did take $3000 off, I would be tempted myself. Going after something with the 6.2 engine in it may be the ticket for you though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You positive it's a knock and not a tick? Could be a $20 set of exhaust manifold gaskets and/or a broken exhaust manifold bolt(s). Dealer doesn't have to know this, though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife and are a looking at a 2008 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3 engine and 175,000 miles. When we first started it up, it had a really bad knock like the engine was going to jump out of truck. It stopped after 20-30 seconds and then ran smooth but had a very faint knock low on the passenger side of the engine. When we drove it it seemed to be lacking power similar to the spark retard our 05 tahoe had with a bad knock sensor so thats what I thought it was. I've done some reading and now I wonder if the dod system is having problems. Am I going in the right direction or is there something else that could be wrong. We haven't bought it yet and the salesman said I could plug my scanner into it tomorrow so is there anything I can do with the scanner to try to narrow down what the knocking issue is/was. Its a very clean, rust free truck otherwise. Thanks

That's an easy -$5000 for a (new used) replacement engine. You need a bi-directional scan tool to test AFM and a good tool to look at each cylinder for misfires and such.

The 6.2s in the wagons did not get AFM until 2010 (L94 engine). Easily found in Denalis and Escalades and very rare in 2010 GMC Yukon XL (no AFM 6.2) and some 2008-2009 LTZ Tahoes.

How much are they asking for that $2000 Suburban anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coldlegos

Latest posts