2007 Yukon Denali crank no start after driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok folks here we go. Have a 2007 Yukon Denali. Started acting up a couple weeks ago. Warm it up drive 10-15 miles and it idles down when coming to a stop. Went to back it into a parking spot and dies with a minor idle surge prior. Call tow truck after disconnecting negative cable for ten or so minutes and 20 ish restart tries…crank but no start. Tow truck comes I steer it on and it fires as soon as I touch the key. He follows me to get gas I fill it up and runs fine. Go out later for sales calls after about 20 min of driving stop to get a drink and dies as I pull into the gas station. Push it to the mechanic down the street he messes with it and it eventually fires. Good fuel pressure and spark prior to starting. He ran a bottle of heat through it thinking it might be bad gas. Run around next day with no problems short trips only. Following day drive 25 miles can’t restart. Crank no start. Tow truck shows up. Starts as soon as he gets there. He follows me to his garage. He finds a bad ground coming from the drivers side that goes to the block. When he wiggled the harness It would idle way down. He checks fuel pressure spark etc. all good. Next day drive 120 miles being careful not to shut it off and shifting into neutral and feathering gas at stops. Pull into parking lot at work and it dies. Won’t start for 20ish minutes. Been the same story over and over for the last two weeks. I’ve replaced the tps sensor, cleaned the throttle body, ran trans cleaner through it (as suggested on another forum). THERE HAS BEEN NO DASH LIGHT! The only light I’ve had is stabilitrack shutting of when I’ve been shifting to neutral at stop light after stop light. Which makes sense as it’s shuts off when weird idle is present. I’ll add it has plugs, wires, battery, and starter within the last year as well as a new fuse block under hood from a no crank no start fiasco which was not cheap. In terms of environment I’m in northeast it’s been -15 to 20 out… cold. Changing crank sensor and checking that wiring next any ideas? Please help lol

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Did you put a code reader on the OBDII port and see if there any codes being thrown (that are not visible on the dashboard)?

OP
OP
Dan Sho

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Did you put a code reader on the OBDII port and see if there any codes being thrown (that are not visible on the dashboard)?
Sorry for the delay. Yes I did hook the scanner on today and it had P0011 in pending codes camshaft position. Not sure if that could anyway be related to me constantly shifting into neutral and keeping the rpm’s up when stopped to keep it from dying. I had the crank position replaced today without any results.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Yes I did hook the scanner on today and it had P0011 in pending codes camshaft position. Not sure if that could anyway be related to me constantly shifting into neutral and keeping the rpm’s up when stopped to keep it from dying. I had the crank position replaced today without any results.

Did the shop do a crank position relearn afterward?

OP
OP
Dan Sho

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cannot confirm that? I will call tomorrow and ask.

OP
OP
Dan Sho

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will also add that the crank sensor was factory GM sensor

OP
OP
Dan Sho

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ll add again also that I dumped a quart of the trans conditioner in like in other threads wilts no change. Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to see what happens when it dies we’ll see what I get. As of now it’s running 60 at idle. Might try the lower viscosity engine oil trick but being it’s subzero to low teen temps here the last month I have my doubts with that fix. I’m due soon anyway though. Also plan on grabbing a fuel pump relay and monitoring the oil pressure when the problem occurs.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Michigan.

Have you checked ALL of the grounds? There are several on these vehicles that can play havoc and cause weird symptoms. Let us know if you are not familiar with the layout and/or need a reminder of their locations.

Is the service stabilitrak light still on? You could be one of the trucks with the flaky brake pedal sensor. It could also be unrelated and the stabilitrak is something as simple as this: Bulletin No.: PI0639D

Do you still have the heat shields on your exhaust manifold and the starter motor?

OP
OP
Dan Sho

Dan Sho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Michigan.

Have you checked ALL of the grounds? There are several on these vehicles that can play havoc and cause weird symptoms. Let us know if you are not familiar with the layout and/or need a reminder of their locations.

Is the service stabilitrak light still on? You could be one of the trucks with the flaky brake pedal sensor. It could also be unrelated and the stabilitrak is something as simple as this: Bulletin No.: PI0639D

Do you still have the heat shields on your exhaust manifold and the starter motor?
Not crazy familiar with all ground locations. Stabilitrak light only comes on when I am in stop and go traffic and have to feather the gas in neutral on multiple occasions has always turned of the following trip after a cool down. Ran the scanner three days last week with no pending codes. Heat shield is on the starter. I have not added any additional shielding to the fuel lines yet. I do have the the plastic motor shroud of as it’s the only way to keep my fuel pressure gauge secure while driving. Trying to attach this item by item as I don’t have a garage and don’t get off work until dark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons