2007 Tahoe Tailgate - Auto Lift Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try replacing the latch unit. When I try to open or close the gate, I can hear motors running where the latch is, however the gate doesn't lift or lower. It's as if the latch that closes the gate never moves like it should so the gate can freely open or close.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Same symptoms we ran into. It kind of unlocks when trying the automatic opening, but the latch doesn’t fully open so the door is slightly opened (not fully closed but not unlocked to allow the door to open). The codes that came up for us were tied to the position sensor within that latch assembly.

We could unlock it manually then open the door with no issues. The issue was tied to that position sensor the automatic door opening/closing system uses.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Same symptoms we ran into. It kind of unlocks when trying the automatic opening, but the latch doesn’t fully open so the door is slightly opened (not fully closed but not unlocked to allow the door to open). The codes that came up for us were tied to the position sensor within that latch assembly.

We could unlock it manually then open the door with no issues. The issue was tied to that position sensor the automatic door opening/closing system uses.

Yeah, I can unlock the gate without any issues, but I still have to pull it up and push it down manually. The gate itself won’t move on its own.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When attempting the auto feature, the door completely unlocks and you’re still able to lift the gate?

Our issue wouldn’t fully unlock the latch when using the auto feature. We could hit the unlock button then lift it manually, but in auto mode it wouldn’t fully let go of the door.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That was kind of our issue, except it would only fail during the auto feature.

If the door lock assembly works, then it could be the motor assembly off to the driver’s side panel area. You can access it and test the Door motor assembly. There are videos and write ups covering this like the above vid.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When attempting the auto feature, the door completely unlocks and you’re still able to lift the gate?

Our issue wouldn’t fully unlock the latch when using the auto feature. We could hit the unlock button then lift it manually, but in auto mode it wouldn’t fully let go of the door.

When I try to open the door from the door handle or using the key fob, I hear motors start to run, but the door doesn't open. I can then lift the door manually to fully open it. It's like it starts to try to open, but then just stops. From there I can pull it open.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. That doesn’t sound like an issue with the door lock actuator. I would concentrate on looking at the motor assembly that is tied to the liftgate arm. It’s underneath the rear driver side panels.

Our issue was that the door lock actuator wouldn’t fully unlock the door to allow the liftgate Motor system to open the door. Yours sounds like it’s unlocking it but the arm isn’t pushing the door open, which isn’t the same issue we had.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That was kind of our issue, except it would only fail during the auto feature.

If the door lock assembly works, then it could be the motor assembly off to the driver’s side panel area. You can access it and test the Door motor assembly. There are videos and write ups covering this like the above vid.

In the video you posted, did the guy fix the auto open/close feature? It looks like his door wouldn't open at all, so he fixed that. But at the end of the video, it looks like he's opening the door manually, and not using the auto feature.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another thought. It may be that the lock actuator is working to lock and unlock but not sending the signal to the clutch on the lift arm.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s mainly pointing out his issue (door lock actuator) and how to open the door should that failure happen when it’s closed. Sometimes the sensors remain functional but the gears strip in that actuator. Sometimes the gears strip in the motor located in the driver’s side rear panel, or those motors fail.

The fact that your door will unlock points to an issue elsewhere. I’m assuming it also locks just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blokroknbeats