2007 Tahoe (alternator going out?)(YouTube link attached)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIGGMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3-liter V8) This started a few months ago. I replaced the serpentine belt this summer. Now that its cold outside, when I start the engine it makes a weird sound. (see video link)

As I drive it for 10-15 mins, the sound gets better, almost disappearing completely. Is this the alternator going out? My Voltage meter in the dash display shows it a little under 14 volts as I drive.

I posted a link to the video below. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe (5.3-liter V8) This started a few months ago. I replaced the serpentine belt this summer. Now that its cold outside, when I start the engine it makes a weird sound. (see video link)

As I drive it for 10-15 mins, the sound gets better, almost disappearing completely. Is this the alternator going out? My Voltage meter in the dash display shows it a little under 14 volts as I drive.

I posted a link to the video below. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

I would imagine if the noise is for sure coming from the alternator then just replace it, pretty easy to do with just a couple wrenches

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To be sure, remove belt and run it. If noise is gone, sounds like could be the alternator. It could also be a tensioner pulley or idler pulley. When belt is off, turn them by hand and see if you feel roughness or skipping at all. Also, on the tensioner and idler pulleys, see if there is any wiggle to them. They should be straight rolling and no wiggle and smooth.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get the oem 220amp alt off ebay sellers of used parts for little over a $100. the part number to look for it around here somewhere and iamdub has some pics of installing it. even thou he went above and byond lol, it's a direct bolt on really as long as you don't have ocd lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have a Harbor Freight around you? Invest $8 in a mechanic's stethoscope >HERE<. You'll pinpoint the source and won't have to remove anything or break out any tools. Removing the belt likely would stop the sound, but there are six accessory pulleys so you'd still have to narrow it down. Also, such noises are often due to the side loads the belt inflicts on the accessory's bearings. With the belt off, you lose the side load so the accessory in question may feel and sound fine.

For you, a stock replacement DR44 alternator is probably fine. I'd recommend an OE one and not a remanufactured as they often have lower quality bearings and/or regulators in them than what originally came in the alternator and lasted hundreds of thousands of miles. I'd take a low-mileage used GM OEM alt over a remanufactured. If you find one for the same price or less, a factory alternator that'd be an upgrade would be part number 13534128 or 13536552. These are 220 amp models and off of '19+ trucks, so most would be decently low mileage. Their prices fluctuate and it looks like they're currently high- mostly around $200 on eBay. If you don't need the full 220 amps (and it sounds like you don't), part number 13536551 is a 170 amp version and is a lot cheaper. I see 'em on eBay as little as $57. Here's one with 849 miles on it for $84 and free shipping. Oh, these alts are not just an upgrade in amperage output. They're also 6-phase so they put out more amperage a lower RPM, including at idle. So they would charge your battery better than the stock style alt when you're sitting still with the A/C on, which runs the cooling fans and HVAC blower motors (considerable power draws).

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DIGGMAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a Harbor Freight around you? Invest $8 in a mechanic's stethoscope >HERE<. You'll pinpoint the source and won't have to remove anything or break out any tools. Removing the belt likely would stop the sound, but there are six accessory pulleys so you'd still have to narrow it down. Also, such noises are often due to the side loads the belt inflicts on the accessory's bearings. With the belt off, you lose the side load so the accessory in question may feel and sound fine.

For you, a stock replacement DR44 alternator is probably fine. I'd recommend an OE one and not a remanufactured as they often have lower quality bearings and/or regulators in them than what originally came in the alternator and lasted hundreds of thousands of miles. I'd take a low-mileage used GM OEM alt over a remanufactured. If you find one for the same price or less, a factory alternator that'd be an upgrade would be part number 13534128 or 13536552. These are 220 amp models and off of '19+ trucks, so most would be decently low mileage. Their prices fluctuate and it looks like they're currently high- mostly around $200 on eBay. If you don't need the full 220 amps (and it sounds like you don't), part number 13536551 is a 170 amp version and is a lot cheaper. I see 'em on eBay as little as $57. Here's one with 849 miles on it for $84 and free shipping. Oh, these alts are not just an upgrade in amperage output. They're also 6-phase so they put out more amperage a lower RPM, including at idle. So they would charge your battery better than the stock style alt when you're sitting still with the A/C on, which runs the cooling fans and HVC blower motors (considerable power draws).
Thank you.. Alot of good info there. I will check out harbor freight on my days off and try that route.. Thank you for the EBAY link as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401