Indicative of bad alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oaktree

Reaction score
IMG_3062.jpeg
Wife drives the Tahoe 2022 but last weekend, I get in, drive to Walmart, fill up on gas and it won’t start. Dead battery. I replace the battery, boom, everything works but notice the voltage indicator is low.
Is this indicative of a bad alternator?
Going into the dealer and I need/want to tell them what to look at.
I also have a windshield washer pump that doesn’t work, all fuses are good.

Last edited:

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
What year Tahoe? Based on the photo it's fairly new..That's normal for a fully charged battery on the lasted gm vehicles as they only charge when the battery needs it "charge on demand ".

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
What year Tahoe? Based on the photo it's fairly new..That's normal for a fully charged battery on the lasted gm vehicles as they only charge when the battery needs it "charge on demand ".
2022, ok I remember it being right in the middle of the gauge. I could be wrong or it was a weak battery and always charging, so that makes sense. I’ve been putting a battery tender on it every night until I get to the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire it up and put a multimeter on the battery terminal posts. You should see voltage between 13.5 to 14.5V.

I run a Banks I-Dash on mine and have battery voltage always displayed. I'll see it start out in the upper 13's and then hold in the 14's for most of the drive. On some long road trips I've seen it drop down to ~12.8V, which indicates the alternator stopped charging, but that is normal.

FWIW - the ammeter "needle" is pretty accurate, although there's only 9 and 19 displayed, its position on that bar is sensitive to the actual voltage of the charging system. I'll see it a bit above middle when it's in the 14's and then closer to the middle when it's in the 13's. Only time I've ever seen it display as low as yours is in that picture is when I have the ignition on, but engine off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 420242
Wife drives the Tahoe 2022 but last weekend, I get in, drive to Walmart, fill up on gas and it won’t start. Dead battery. I replace the battery, boom, everything works but notice the voltage indicator is low.
even though gm uses a regulated voltage system a good healthy battery should read pretty much 14v all the time, especially a NEW battery, you might see voltage like that while cruising on the highway for a while (economy mode), but not all the time. WHEN YOU FIRST start the vehicle voltage should go over 14v+ more like 15v volt's for the first minute to refresh what was used to start the vehicle.
use a volt meter to confirm at the battery post's as the cluster is not always accurate

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 420242
That is actually an indicator that the battery is fully charged to the computer's satisfaction. When the old battery was dying, the alternator was running near full output to keep it alive.

Look up these terms, Regulated Voltage Control and Electronic Power Management, RVC and EPM. These may be in your owner's manual and they'll be in the GM Upfitter's manuals for your vehicle type. An internet search will at the least provide a generic overview of how the systems work.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
Battery is 12.66 unplugged, with alligator clamps on startup I get zero increase, actually goes to 12.45.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That gauge reading along with the dead battery is a real good indication that the charging system is not up to par. Under warranty? Let us know what the dealer does for this.

OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
That is actually an indicator that the battery is fully charged to the computer's satisfaction. When the old battery was dying, the alternator was running near full output to keep it alive.

Look up these terms, Regulated Voltage Control and Electronic Power Management, RVC and EPM. These may be in your owner's manual and they'll be in the GM Upfitter's manuals for your vehicle type. An internet search will at the least provide a generic overview of how the systems work.

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
O

Oaktree

Reaction score
I think you got it correct. On the drive to the dealer, 40 miles away, I started to se regular voltage readings that I was normal too.
I'm guessing, the battery, which is bigger than stock, and sitting on a battery tender every night, was capable of providing the needs of the car around town. Once on the freeway, it started to draw more juice.

Thanks all for the comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts