2007, 205K miles. Stabilitrak light. OK to drive today to get codes read?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mtns_Are_Calling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tahoe 2007, 205K miles. Well maintained, great truck. Yesterday I got the Stabilitrak light. I'm seeing that this can indicate a wide range of issues. OK to drive it today to get codes read? (Thinking at this mileage, I should buy a code reader while I'm there. ;) ) Thanks.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be okay to drive. Maybe drive it around your block first. On rare occasions, the malfunction of some sensors causes the system to engage the abs pump (because it mistakedly thinks you're braking/wheel locked, etc.) But if that's not the case, it should be fine.

OP
OP
M

Mtns_Are_Calling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm feeling for a sense that the brakes are pumping when I stop, rather than just smoothly easing to a stop? Thanks
Edit: Or will I feel that when NOT braking?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm feeling for a sense that the brakes are pumping when I stop, rather than just smoothly easing to a stop? Thanks
Edit: Or will I feel that when NOT braking?
I depends on what fails. I have heard of abs pump running continuously, like non-stop.

Try pulling the large ABS fuse temporarily from the fusebox. That will effectively disable the abs system.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all probability, one of your wheel speed sensors needs to be replaced. A quality bi-directional scanner, like a Tech 2, will tell you which wheel speed sensor has failed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stabiltrak is normally suispension related, not brake related. a bad wheel sensor would cause a ABS light, brake issue's would cause a brake light without abs light.
if the vehicle is running very rough or has transmission issue's that "could" cause a stabiltrac error.
also note that stabiltrac codes are not OBD codes, it is a body code and you need a scanner that can read body codes.
the code should be read when the error is present it may or may not be saved as a historical code.
in either case you are usually fine to drive unless you get a "flashing check engine light"

a typical "service stabiltac" is usually a shock or ride height sensor, suspension module fault, suspension wiring, steering sensor, but can be engine related in certain cases.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure.. but on other gm vehicles if you press and hope the tc button for like 30 sec it will turn off tc and stability control but not abs. might be worth a shot if you feel anything funny on the way to the shop.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to find out what other codes are coincident with it. On my ‘07 I was getting intermittent high fuel pressure codes when the St/TC disabled indication happened, so in my case it was the fuel pump going out that was the trigger, at 207K miles. New OEM fuel pump solved the problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to find out what other codes are coincident with it. On my ‘07 I was getting intermittent high fuel pressure codes when the St/TC disabled indication happened, so in my case it was the fuel pump going out that was the trigger, at 207K miles. New OEM fuel pump solved the problem.
correct, if it is not suspension related then it is something else drivetrain related as a "root" cause that may directly affect stabiltrac function

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar