2006 Yukon xl emergency brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got a surprise I wasn’t happy to find. Apparently these e brake systems don’t last long. As I took apart my rear end to get other work done I found out why e brake doesn’t work because it’s all gone. Someone gutted the system and all is gone. so what’s the best thing to do buy all the parts or go to junk yard. Even backing plates are all rotted away as well as missing parts. Then you have rotors that never seen the shoes in 10 years lol and probably should be replace as surfaces of shoes are badly pitted. Any thoughts on replacement parts ???
Doug

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got a surprise I wasn’t happy to find. Apparently these e brake systems don’t last long. As I took apart my rear end to get other work done I found out why e brake doesn’t work because it’s all gone. Someone gutted the system and all is gone. so what’s the best thing to do buy all the parts or go to junk yard. Even backing plates are all rotted away as well as missing parts. Then you have rotors that never seen the shoes in 10 years lol and probably should be replace as surfaces of shoes are badly pitted. Any thoughts on replacement parts ???
Doug

It's a parking brake nowadays. They do last but they require regular maintenance like everything else. The previous owner(s) probably didn't take care of it and when it failed, junked it rather than fix it.

I would keep it working and use all OE parts. The actuator would get replaced too, along with the three cables.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the best parts you can afford if not buying OEM. RockAuto should have everything you need or a local Advanced Auto parts.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i very very rarely have a situation that i would need a parking brake, as do most around here so when rust eats them they just get cut off. lack of use is probably one of the biggest killers of something like this in the rust states.

OP
OP
Douglas Friedberg

Douglas Friedberg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the best parts you can afford if not buying OEM. RockAuto should have everything you need or a local Advanced Auto parts.
Thanks everyone for your answers
I really find it hard to understand why a crappy system was invented when the single piston caddy caliper could have been redesigned alittle and become a proven system and used. Most of the design was there already. Every in rotor parking brake system if seen so far fails at longevity
I incorporated the caddy e brake single caliper in my 64 chevelle race car stopping with speeds beyond 145 mph easily without a chute. And no more logs under tires at shows anymore with the use of mechanical e brake designed within. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt