2006 Tahoe-White smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you’re burning a little oil based on mileage and not losing any noticeable amount of coolant just burning some spent oil. Did you get to try to smell this smoke upon startup? I’m not sure you’re going to get your $140 worth that’s any different than the advice the guys here (excluding yours truly) are giving they know their stuff.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What most everybody said...... Pull the heads. Same thing happened to me in my old C2500 350 engine some years ago. ( I never over heated )... A little white smoke at start up for a while...... Then......It smoked all the way to the shop.
( A head was cracked / have both done )
Nice new exhaust gaskets, etc.....
The pay off is it ran like brand new after it was fixed!!

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Well, Tahoe is at a mechanic I trust and they said that it beeds compression and leak down test. And the $140 diagnosis turned in $420. I had a feeling that they wont due leak down for that low. Will keep you posted.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
They tell me its 10% blow by on cylinder 1 and i need new engine. 7500. Is 10 bad i was thinking tgere shoukd be some blow by anyway?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What is their reason for the blow by and why a new engine? I ran shops and would never say a diagnosis that way. I would tell the customer what we did during test, the results, what causes it and why I would recommend a new engine. Plus, is it a new engine or a reman engine and if so what is the source of the engine. I used to use Jasper reman engines and transmissions exclusively. Been out of the business long enough now that I don't know if they are still around and as good as they used to be or if there is a better supplier now.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
What is their reason for the blow by and why a new engine? I ran shops and would never say a diagnosis that way. I would tell the customer what we did during test, the results, what causes it and why I would recommend a new engine. Plus, is it a new engine or a reman engine and if so what is the source of the engine. I used to use Jasper reman engines and transmissions exclusively. Been out of the business long enough now that I don't know if they are still around and as good as they used to be or if there is a better supplier now.

The lady up front called me and told me that 10% blow by is bad and I need new engine. 7500 is for remanufactured engine with 3 years warranty. 6000 for used engine with 120000 miles on it. I will talk to the mechanic when i pic it up. Isn't there some blow by normal? 10 percent doesn't seem a lot.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There should be an area for the blow by. Cylinder rings, intake valve, exhaust valve, head gasket....etc.

Ask why they recommend a new engine instead of a repair on yours. Maybe they never tear down engines and just are parts replacers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeez, if it's only using a quart every 3k, drive it and save your money till it blows or buy something else, I've had more than a couple gm's that blew a puff at first startup, they drove for years perfectly fine

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blow by from where ? Could also be a valve leak, or crack in the head. That is the information you paid for.

Pull your oil fill cap,,,, is it milky underneath?

One qt of oil between changes, not using antifreeze, and no milky oil I think i'd keep rolling right down the road for now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n