2006 Tahoe-White smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I would say head gasket but those might be cracked heads too.

Wait, they did valve stem seals without pulling the heads? They didn't notice any leaks or think to check? Are these LS guys or Ford guys?

I did it myself. I didn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I did them without pulling the heads.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
So this started a few months back? Next time you start it put your hand by the exhaust to see if it smells like oil or antifreeze. Are you noticing any oil loss? What Chris said above makes sense as the cooling problems pop up when it’s hotter out.

I have bean loosing oil for long time since i bought it. When i change oil the level is on the top of limit on the dipstick but when i change it again is on the low side.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Someone mentioned 706 heads, mine are 862. I have an appointment with a mechanic Tuesday and they charge $140 for diagnosis . Should I save myself some money and just buy refurbished heads and change them? If so where do i buy them? Also do i reuse the pushrods and rockers or is it a good idea to buy new ones. Where can I find the torque values and angles.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
ok that answers half of the question, what are the miles? and does the coolant level ever go down at all or not?

About a year ago I started to noticed it was getting a bit hot, not much one notch, found that my heater core connections where leaking, changed thise and ti was good since then. Never noticed it leaking since than. Shortly after the smoke happened the radiator cracked. Replaced it and it seems to be holding.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well unless it using up coolant and you are having to add some even now and then, then your heads are fine, you could have the coolant tested just to rule it out, otherwise 1quart of oil use between oil changes is not bad at all and is quit normal @207k, even though the valves were done oil could still be leaking thru the rings, if all it is using is a quart I would live with it unless you want to do a complete rebuild for some reason, that little bit of oil use wont stop that engine from going another 100k