2006 Tahoe Engine stumbles/dies when I hit a bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I also guessed the ignition switch, but I can shake and hammer and poke at all of the wires in the steering column and it will not have any effect. I suppose I could replace it just in case...

I also think is the ignition switch.

Also check the air intake tube and wire connections.

Several years ago my Silverado would turn off on bumpy roads and it was the air intake tube that was lose. Check the bellows on the intake tube aswell.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And check the electrical connector to the throttle body, since this is DBW. The wires near the connector can get broken or weak inside the insulation, near the TB.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a long shot, but a couple of decades ago a friend of mine had a similar experience on a different type vehicle. His problem was because the weight of his key chain. Apparently the weight of the key chain caused excess wear on the cylinder and it slowly over time got worse. We only discovered that was the problem for everything when the key cylinder failed completely. Once we replaced it, all the other issues went away. We spent countless hours tracing wires, grounds, etc. Electrical issues are the hardest and most frustrating to diagnose. I’m only guessing it’s electrical, just a hunch.

x2

Mooseman93

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I removed, cleaned reconnected the battery cables at both ends. I also ran a ground strap from the battery to the engine block and then to the frame just to make sure ground connections were not to blame. The is a ground wire from the back of the engine to the firewall that reportedly causes trouble but I checked it and it is ok. But without any success.
Thanks for the reply. I have literally put it up on ramps and smacked everything I can with a heavy rubber mallet. I have taken a broom handle and pushed and prodded every wire I can reach under the hood and under the dash. I cannot get it to fail in any way with it stationary.

I had a car years ago where the battery hold down had corroded. I'd hit a decent bump and it would bounce up and the positive terminal would short out against the hood. Of course these trucks have non-metal hoods, but it does make me wonder if your battery might have a loose plate inside that is shorting internally.

OP
OP
J

J West

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a car years ago where the battery hold down had corroded. I'd hit a decent bump and it would bounce up and the positive terminal would short out against the hood. Of course these trucks have non-metal hoods, but it does make me wonder if your battery might have a loose plate inside that is shorting internally.
Never considered that, but I'll look into it. thanks!