2006 Esky - Z55 Shocks - Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z55 rear suspension is dead. Bags are completely blown, and so far, no matter what I do with a Tech2, or hotwiring, I can not get the compressor to start.

All that being said, I am starting my shopping list.

For the moment, I am going to keep my stock ride height, but may consider lowering 1/2, 1/3, 2/3, 2/4, eventually.

I can get the Arnotts for 617 (struts, compressor), plus 100 for core
I can get the RMT for 501 (struts, compressor), no core

I also have the options for Monroe Shocks, plus a Arnott/Dorman compressor
Or, AC Delco shocks, plus a Arnott/Dorman Compressor

I have pretty much completely discounted SunCore as a viable option, not a lot of good reviews for them, and they seem to have issues honoring their warrantys.

I do tow, cars, snowmobiles, ATV's, so the air bags are wanted.

And with the possibility of loweing later (or now if the monies involved are reasonable), just seeing what other options I need to think about..

Remember, for me ride softness is critically important!

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I would ditch the entire system and install regular shocks. If you really need to tow get some aftermarket air bags, Aftermarket air bags hold better and tow more. You can also use aftermarket air bags on lowering springs.

The money you save can be used to lower the suv.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Z55 and the Arnott air shocks and a dorman pump. I just installed some rear spings since the rear would lower if i sat in the bumper. They're Moog 81071. They ride perfect. A tiny bit more firm and much less boaty . Same ride height, maybe 1 to 0.5" higher than springs with 290k miles. Its worth it to keep the autoleveling shocks if you're hauling a trailer or crap for vacation. I hate a squatted rear end. The Dorman pump is a complete unit, plug and play, unlike the Arnott unit. Had the shocks and pump since 2017, its my DD.

I also just replaced all rear control arms and track bar. It rides like a brand new vehicle and soft like was new. Im very picky about my vehicle riding too firm.

c3953c445d57cacc55afe3fe105ed8f3.jpg7006fb9ffcf2e5b10f05277904bab8cc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replaced the rear shocks, did you go with the Arnott direct replacements, or, the regular air shock, with a plug to fool the suspension computer?

We definitely dont have any sagging suspension, but I also have not towed yet. That time is likely coming thou, as I do like to buy auction cars, and rebuild them.

We had it pretty loaded up over the weekend. And it was a bit lower, but my truck also has the firm suspension. Other than its a bit bouncy over the off road bumps, it handled all the junk/people/dogs that was in it rather well.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull often with my 2006 Denali xl, and on a daily basis I have probably a couple
Hundred pounds worth of detailing gear in the back, and I decided to stay with Z55. I would say even if you’re going with a drop in the dirtier, but you plan to tow, keep the Z55. The arnott shocks are great quality, I have the passive air shocks that have the resistors wired into the plugs and the ride really well. I went with a dorman compressor, it’s been in the truck since I think 2017 and zero issues with it. Love that the system keeps the truck level. I do also have airlift 1000 air bas inside my rear coil springs, just brigade I felt it was a good option for me and towing and what not and I love the added stability they give the truck. But that’s just my preference. The air ride shocks will probably give you good results alone.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replaced the rear shocks, did you go with the Arnott direct replacements, or, the regular air shock, with a plug to fool the suspension computer?

We definitely dont have any sagging suspension, but I also have not towed yet. That time is likely coming thou, as I do like to buy auction cars, and rebuild them.

We had it pretty loaded up over the weekend. And it was a bit lower, but my truck also has the firm suspension. Other than its a bit bouncy over the off road bumps, it handled all the junk/people/dogs that was in it rather well.

I have the regular air leveling shocks with the fooler plug (AS-2700). I think the resistor in the fooler stopped working in those or the ebay foolers I bought for the front when I put in Bilstein 4600 since I now have the Check Ride Suspension message. It doesnt bother me though. I just ignore it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907