2005 Tahoe Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NAte1620

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The T on the hose that goes into the water pump melted on the side and I lost all coolant. My gauges in my insturment cluster do not work.... stepper motors are crap.... Anyhow I replaced the hoses and refilled coolant drove less than 1/2 mile and got the read out on the dash "Engine Coolant High temp...... I changed the Thermostat and drove another half mile... Same issue.

I changed the Temp sensor..... Still same probably... I change the water pump because it was the only thing left... I assumed. After all of that,,, still same issues. It was pressure tested and the system held pressure.... It is not smoking and it doesnt appear to have any water in the oil...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You need a temp reading at the water outlet to get an accurate reading. Plus, you could have flow problems in the radiator core. You may have a trapped air pocket but I doubt it with all the tear down and refill. Where have you been refilling the system at?

Welcome to the forum.

spiderman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The T on the hose that goes into the water pump melted on the side and I lost all coolant. My gauges in my insturment cluster do not work.... stepper motors are crap.... Anyhow I replaced the hoses and refilled coolant drove less than 1/2 mile and got the read out on the dash "Engine Coolant High temp...... I changed the Thermostat and drove another half mile... Same issue.

I changed the Temp sensor..... Still same probably... I change the water pump because it was the only thing left... I assumed. After all of that,,, still same issues. It was pressure tested and the system held pressure.... It is not smoking and it doesnt appear to have any water in the oil...
Was the system burped?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @OR VietVet and @spiderman

Get an infrared heat gun and check the upper and lower hoses temp at the radiator. If the radiator is working correctly, you will see a large temp delta between in and out of the system. If both hoses are the same temp, then you have too much flow which can lead to overheating in the hot months, overcooling in the cold months.

If it's plugged, then a temp gun will only tell you the upper hose is hot. But not necessarily that the radiator is flowing correctly.

I would also recommend running it with the cap off. It's not going to hurt a thing, but will let air escape instead of acting like a big cushion/stopper in the system. Leave it off and try to duplicate your condition and see what happens.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Click on the link below to see the Haynes procedure for burping. Others have also said that it helps to get the front end elevated, as in a sloped driveway.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have overheated, there is ALWAYS a chance of damage to the head gaskets. 99 times out of a 100, head gasket problems are the result of a problem and not the cause of the problem. Compression test is warranted. Oil contamination is not the only result of head gasket problems.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would just remove the thermostat to rule out that there is a problem with it. Then I would fill the engine with water through the expansion tank. If the thermostat isn't in, the system will bleed itself. If there's still a problem with overheating, I'd check the radiator to see if it's tight.

However, it would be very helpful to repair the displays in the instrument cluster, because oil pressure and water temperature are very important information.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goneracin

Latest posts