2005 Tahoe gas filling / purge canister - clearing lines of carbon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first item on the agenda should be to see IF there is a problem with the pellets escaping the canister. After that, if there is a problem with them, the sucking and blowing can commence.

OP
OP
T

tennfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is all helpful. Part of my decision, given my own circumstances of time and having to likely do this solo, is a large part of the tank removal issue and at some point the price differential in parts/available time versus what the local, privately owned shop will charge.
If it can be done without removing tank, its more likely i can handle it in the driveway.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all helpful. Part of my decision, given my own circumstances of time and having to likely do this solo, is a large part of the tank removal issue and at some point the price differential in parts/available time versus what the local, privately owned shop will charge.
If it can be done without removing tank, its more likely i can handle it in the driveway.

You can at least diagnose it to this point yourself.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can at least diagnose it to this point yourself.
Exactly. If you just disconnect the white clips from the evap canister and black pellets fall all over, you'll have a pretty good idea what the issue is.

Too often people start replacing all the parts within the fuel system when they didn't need to replace anything at all. I've seen people replace the fuel pump, roll over valve, evap canister etc and their fueling issue is still there. Unfortunately taking it to a shop might result in the same because most mechanics work across many brands. Many times they're not aware of the quirks or "common" issues that plague a certain vehicle that the web or youtube knows about because of everyday shade tree mechanics resolving real problems.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I knew after reading all the threads on here about the evap system, on my 2005, I decided that when I addressed the system, I replaced every damn thing in the system because piece by piece it would make me pull my hair out, or any that I had left anyway. If you can afford it, do it all and get it done, If you are keeping the rig, like I am, you will thank yourself but if getting rid of, throw parts at it at will.

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
Giving Blk00ss method a shot today and for the next week. Would be dropping the tank but its pretty wet here today. I disconnected both the components earlier today to see how she fuels up being disconnected. It was much better but confirmed my suspicion that its the lines. This hasn't been a problem to be dealt with because work is close but we're taking the sled to Florida soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313