2005 Tahoe Daily [Update 06/25/20 - leveled?]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first my cheap ebay housing started having issues

View attachment 231712

then my cheap ebay hatch handle broke

View attachment 231713

ended up purchasing parts to build new retrofits for the lights, and should hopefully have ebay sending me a new hatch handle to put on
You’ll just keep breaking those China handles, might as well get the OEM one and be done with it. My bud who owns a body shop won’t even paint those cheap ones if I paid him to do it.

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll just keep breaking those China handles, might as well get the OEM one and be done with it. My bud who owns a body shop won’t even paint those cheap ones if I paid him to do it.

do they make an OEM black one?

I don't believe I've ever seen a black rear hatch handle that wasn't this cheap plastic

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do they make an OEM black one?

I don't believe I've ever seen a black rear hatch handle that wasn't this cheap plastic
OEM p/n is 19299935 paint to match. If you want it black, I believe it comes smooth black or you can paint it yourself. Most people paint them body color. I know when I bought new PTM handles for my 08 Silverado they came smooth black. I had them painted to match. The cheap aftermarket ones I took off were black textured which are a PIA to paint and so aren’t meant to paint. They aren’t cheap but if you don’t want to keep replacing them it’s the only way to go.

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM p/n is 19299935 paint to match. If you want it black, I believe it comes smooth black or you can paint it yourself. Most people paint them body color. I know when I bought new PTM handles for my 08 Silverado they came smooth black. I had them painted to match. The cheap aftermarket ones I took off were black textured which are a PIA to paint and so aren’t meant to paint. They aren’t cheap but if you don’t want to keep replacing them it’s the only way to go.

hmm not really a fan of smooth / gloss looks on anything lol

I think I'll just keep getting these cheap ones. I've only had 2 fail in 6 years of using them, and I spoke to the eBay seller and they said they'll keep sending them to me for free when needed

in other news, I finally got an SPL meter again, and broke a new PR for myself - 153.1 on the glass :) still a lot to gain too once I sort some things out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also got all of my retrofit stuff in today, so I started that project

Amazon Depo projectors
CB&D Brackets
MoriMoto Mini H1 7.0 bixenon HID
38w nhk ballasts
XB 4500k bulbs

if the Yukon retrofits were 6/10 difficulty, these chevy ones were probably 8/10 difficulty

didn't even get around to testing them yet, because its downpouring out and I don't have garage space to pull the truck in, but I already know I'm going to have to rebuild these.

the guides I read made it seem so easy, but there were a lot of intricacies that were not mentioned

for one, the quality on these Depo headlights was much better than the eBay ones, including the fact that no matter how long I heated them, the damn silicone would not come off. ended up breaking off a bunch of the plastic housing in frustration

hopefully tomorrow I'll some output shots of juts how bad these are

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also got all of my retrofit stuff in today, so I started that project

View attachment 231907

Amazon Depo projectors
CB&D Brackets
MoriMoto Mini H1 7.0 bixenon HID
38w nhk ballasts
XB 4500k bulbs

if the Yukon retrofits were 6/10 difficulty, these chevy ones were probably 8/10 difficulty

View attachment 231908

didn't even get around to testing them yet, because its downpouring out and I don't have garage space to pull the truck in, but I already know I'm going to have to rebuild these.

the guides I read made it seem so easy, but there were a lot of intricacies that were not mentioned

for one, the quality on these Depo headlights was much better than the eBay ones, including the fact that no matter how long I heated them, the damn silicone would not come off. ended up breaking off a bunch of the plastic housing in frustration

hopefully tomorrow I'll some output shots of juts how bad these are
It’s not silicone, it’s called permaseal. Look it up. Were you trying to open them up or just remove projectors? I’m not familiar with the Depo for Tahoe’s so idk if you can just replace the projectors like my Denali’s. Mine were permaseal and just removing the projectors was super hard. I’d like to open them up to paint them but I’m pretty sure I’d destroy them.

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not silicone, it’s called permaseal. Look it up. Were you trying to open them up or just remove projectors? I’m not familiar with the Depo for Tahoe’s so idk if you can just replace the projectors like my Denali’s. Mine were permaseal and just removing the projectors was super hard. I’d like to open them up to paint them but I’m pretty sure I’d destroy them.

I thought the Denali ones were permaseal, and this was much different stuff than those were.

I had no issues removing the Denali projectors, but a TON of difficulty with these Chevy ones.

I was strictly trying to remove the projectors from the rear, not open the headlights.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you just encountered your first real permaseal. Here's what mine looked like after a LOT of effort to get them off. Lots of heat and cutting and prying, about 2 hours for each projector.

IMG_9409.JPG IMG_9408.JPG

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a link to the retrofit thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a link to the retrofit thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my Denali thread:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/update-04-07-2006-yukon-denali-winter-beater-sold.106950/

and here's the retrofit video I made:

I think you just encountered your first real permaseal. Here's what mine looked like after a LOT of effort to get them off. Lots of heat and cutting and prying, about 2 hours for each projector.

View attachment 231909 View attachment 231910

whatever was on the Denali was not what was on these Chevy ones, and the Denali stuff was much easier

I was able to do those retrofits in about 30 minutes each

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali