2005 Suburban 5.3 T missing P0300 after changing plugs and wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project_x

Reaction score
I have an '05 Suburban with 5.3 T engine.
It has 165k miles. In working to a baseline of maintenance, I put in new plugs (ngk platinum...same as were in it) and acdelco wires.
Since making that change, I'm getting P0300... With misses in 2 and 7....the ration is about 1:10 on 2 vs 7...

Where should I start to troubleshoot this?

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are seeing issues on 2 and 7, swap wires from a working cylinder to 2 OR 7, and see if the code moves. If the code doesn't move, swap plugs, to the same cylinder you are testing. If the problem doesn't move, you know it isn't plugs or wires. Do the same thing to the cylinder you haven't checked. That is, check ONE cylinder at a time like this. Odds are you either have a wire problem, and/or a spark plug problem.

OP
OP
P

project_x

Reaction score
If you are seeing issues on 2 and 7, swap wires from a working cylinder to 2 OR 7, and see if the code moves. If the code doesn't move, swap plugs, to the same cylinder you are testing. If the problem doesn't move, you know it isn't plugs or wires. Do the same thing to the cylinder you haven't checked. That is, check ONE cylinder at a time like this. Odds are you either have a wire problem, and/or a spark plug problem.
That was exactly the approach I was going to start with.

Thanks

OP
OP
P

project_x

Reaction score
I let it cool down.
Switched the wire from 5 to 7 and vice versa ..
Started it up an monitored the misfires....they were gone.... On 7 and 2 ( which I didn't touch)....
So I'm wondering if the wire on 7 wasn't seated .. and the miss on 7 was somehow creating a miss on 2...which is next in firing order...

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just glad it's gone. I have a similar issue to trouble shoot, but I'm hoping to complete my diesel swap before having to do so.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on another brands vehicle and after removing and reseating a spark plug wire the code went away never to return...mine was installer error...me...good luck with yours

Bill

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on another brands vehicle and after removing and reseating a spark plug wire the code went away never to return...mine was installer error...me...good luck with yours

Bill
I've had mine off and on -- mostly on -- since I bought it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM