2004 z71/Warning on Cerakote plastic trim coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the minimum test this stuff on a small part of your plastic before doing all the plastic flares, steps, ect on the vehicle.

I bought this for my z71 fender flares back in May and just got around to applying it over the weekend. I don't ever make threads to bash products but damn I have some work ahead of me to get this off. Apparently the only thing that might get it off is non acetone nail polish remover. I am going to try to remove this evening.

I had no idea it had so many terrible reviews on amazon or I would have been more cautious.

71EhjJ4YbAS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're removing it because of bad reviews? What's wrong with it on your application?

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chemical guys makes a Fantastic trim restorer you really should try…

Thanks I will give it a try if/when I can get this stuff off. I actually had the chemical guys one in my cart to try, but I bought the cerakote instead, ooof. Wish I would have gone with the chemical guys in the first place.

You're removing it because of bad reviews? What's wrong with it on your application?

Splotchy, streaky, not black but grey-ish. It looks bad. A lot of the folks fustrated on amazon, they have posted pics with their reviews and it looks just like mine. They wrote about prep work and how they followed the instructions to a T, like me. Something isn't right with this product, possibly bad batches. Not good with how difficult this stuff is to remove.

See pic. It's overcast today so it's hard to get the streaks and grayish color as it looks in person. I spent an hour last night with the non acetone nail polish remover and it looks exactly the same...... Yes there is some smears on the paint edge, that's from my cleaning rag after removing the painters tape.

Maybe they made a bad batch of this stuff, idk, but either way I just want to warn people to do a test area first. I thought from all the good results on here that it would be fine if I did my part. I know better than not to do a test area for something this hard to remove, but here I am.

20211109_090506.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will give it a try if/when I can get this stuff off. I actually had the chemical guys one in my cart to try, but I bought the cerakote instead, ooof. Wish I would have gone with the chemical guys in the first place.

Splotchy, streaky, not black but grey-ish. It looks bad. A lot of the folks fustrated on amazon, they have posted pics with their reviews and it looks just like mine. They wrote about prep work and how they followed the instructions to a T, like me. Something isn't right with this product, possibly bad batches. Not good with how difficult this stuff is to remove.

See pic. It's overcast today so it's hard to get the streaks and grayish color as it looks in person. I spent an hour last night with the non acetone nail polish remover and it looks exactly the same...... Yes there is some smears on the paint edge, that's from my cleaning rag after removing the painters tape.

Maybe they made a bad batch of this stuff, idk, but either way I just want to warn people to do a test area first. I thought from all the good results on here that it would be fine if I did my part. I know better than not to do a test area for something this hard to remove, but here I am.

View attachment 355055
It might be counterfeit. I have used Cerakote on both my rigs, it looks amazing. You should have legal recourse if it ruined your parts. I hope you still have the packaging with batch number etc. Have you contacted the manufacturer? I know when I was looking for Aquapel there were third-parties selling 6-packs for half what others were charging, and many of the reviews said it was garbage and just streaked their windshields.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be counterfeit. I have used Cerakote on both my rigs, it looks amazing. You should have legal recourse if it ruined your parts. I hope you still have the packaging with batch number etc. Have you contacted the manufacturer? I know when I was looking for Aquapel there were third-parties selling 6-packs for half what others were charging, and many of the reviews said it was garbage and just streaked their windshields.

I hadn't even considered that....man that would make sense for why there are so many folks on Amazon that have had the same issue. Damn. Thanks Rocket Man, I will try contacting the manufacturer as I do have the original packaging. Maybe cerekote could confirm it that is their product.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I can’t even tell what the picture is, but this stuff is amazing for textured black plastic. I don’t think I’d try it on smooth plastic, I’ve read enough warnings it’s not for that

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't even considered that....man that would make sense for why there are so many folks on Amazon that have had the same issue. Damn. Thanks Rocket Man, I will try contacting the manufacturer as I do have the original packaging. Maybe cerekote could confirm it that is their product.
I watched a video on NGK spark plugs and it showed what to look for to determine if they were counterfeit. All the things they said to look for looked exactly like the real thing that they were comparing a fake to. The box, the lettering, the electrode, etc. He couldn’t tell for sure so he called NGK for answers. They asked for the plant code stamped on the fake one and that was the giveaway. It was indeed counterfeit. I’m thinking there might be a plant code or batch code on the Cerakote that will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia