2004 Yukon- Oil pressure gauge at zero, but no check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heydan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just noticed my oil pressure gauge is at zero while driving, but I got no check engine light or warning light. Is this a gauge or sensor problem or am I about to seize my engine?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure sending unit failure is common cause of gage reading zero and without the Low Oil Pressure alarm. If oil level is near normal. The unit may be located at the rear of the intake manifold where distributors were located on the orginal small block chevrolet engines.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed my oil pressure gauge is at zero while driving, but I got no check engine light or warning light. Is this a gauge or sensor problem or am I about to seize my engine?
Yes, you should have a warning light or chime.

Since the chime/warning didn't come on and you obviously have "some" oil pressure since you are driving the vehicle and engine is not seemingly self-destroying itself...it may be just the cluster gauge.

A.) Hook up a scanner that has live data and shows oil pressure. If the pressure shows good, cluster is bad.

B.) If pressure also shows low, then stop driving the vehicle and you need to hook up a mechanical guage and go from there...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A.) Hook up a scanner that has live data and shows oil pressure. If the pressure shows good, cluster is bad.

There's no PID for oil pressure in the NBS, but the sensor voltage can be checked. A manual gauge would be the only way to check the actual pressure, although some circuit tests can be done at the oil pressure sender connector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10