2004 Tahoe - Time for a new engine and transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently joined the forum hoping to get some insight into the best route to refresh the ol Tahoe.

As a little background, we have an 04 Tahoe 4x with a 5.3 (gas only) with 194k . It's had a cracked head (or two) since we bought it at 118K. Been adding coolant for the past 10 years and now's as good a time as ever to replace the engine and possibly the transmission while its in the shop. I could do it myself as I have done several motors on cars, tractors, and Motorcycles, but what I'm worried about getting a bad reman and having to do it all over again, so a shop warranted replacement is our thinking for now.

I did a compression test and found 170 PSI on 7 cylinders and 140 an cyl. number 8. Had the valve cover off as it now has a ticking from #5-7 area but could not find a broken spring or anything out of sorts other than, one coolant leak near the center head bolt and ugly oil residue all over the head and valve train. Overall the engine runs good just a little low on power.

The transmission runs fine, I have done the filter and 4 quart ****** fluid changes as scheduled so no problems there so far. While the motors out I plan to do the pump rub fix on the transfer case and look into u-joints while at it.

Any comment s or other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. This post will gets lots of answers so hang tight. Some questions might be: do you want to have more power than stock? More gears from your trans? Etc..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. Regarding the transmission, that's probably an independent transmission shop so you can also get a warranty. I wouldn't think any shop would do both engine and transmission in-house (it would be great if there was such a place though.)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you trust the engine shop and they are giving you a warranty, they likely have a transmission shop they like to do business and can recommend to you. My neighbor recently did a reman Ford crate engine and was gonna do a Ford crate transmission but transmission was months out. My shop owner friend and myself knew of a good transmission shop in town with a good reputation. They did the transmission and $16k later, the engine and transmission are done, along with many new components for the engine and transmission. It was in a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 engine and a 4R75W transmission with 137k miles on it. The customer could not be happier and the truck runs great.

If you like the 2004 Tahoe and it meets your needs and it is not all rusted up, you will be money ahead over the long haul. If you buy new, get the Brinks truck backed up for payment. If you buy another used, you have new surprises to look forward to.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider that for what you are about to pay for a shop to build and swap in a crate motor, and another shop to rebuild your transmission, you could probably buy a newer vehicle. That's got to be close to, if not over, $10K

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Consider that for what you are about to pay for a shop to build and swap in a crate motor, and another shop to rebuild your transmission, you could probably buy a newer vehicle. That's got to be close to, if not over, $10K
That is why I said, "Buy another used and get surprises, lower mileage or not". And I said, "if meets your needs and not a rust bucket and you are not just wanting another/different vehicle", do the engine and transmission. If the current one needs an engine, at the least, you will get crumbs for money for it. You will not be buying much of a vehicle for $10k, that can do what the existing truck does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imterarizer