2004 Escalade ESV Fuel Cap Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else ever had problems with the fuel cap, it coming loose, and you get the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message in the DIY, a Check Engine Light, the the Evaporative System code.

I'm a bit gun shy because I have replace it twice with two different caps, both which showed to be the right one, but neither has work.

The current one acts like it is the right one, you turn it clockwise for those clicks to seal it . . . then you can turn it counterclockwise and it's still loose.

5x10

Reaction score
I get it from time to time but it goes away. I even bought a replacement charcoal canister but have yet to put it in

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using OEM gas cap? After 22 years and 3 replacement caps, cannot beat OEM for NOT having errors (assuming you don't have something else wrong);

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about the OEM issue, and can't tell you if it is or not. That could be the answer. Or not.

The cap has plastic "bevels" so that when you twist it clockwise until it clicks, it is supposed the get snugged up to the rubber O-ring gasket. It could be that I am not pushing it down hard enough, so that happens.

I am thinking about adding a flat rubber gasket around the filler spout neck, so that when it snugs up, it snugs up firmer.

The issue, the check engine light, the code, and the DIC warning does not affect performance. My code reader is always handy.

It's just aggravating, and my wife gets tired of me asking if she broke The Beast again!

5x10

Reaction score
My corvette recently got the vaccum codes, I looked up some YouTube videos and one guy said to spray the cap with wd40 and wipe, also, clean the inside of the metal gas tube(the cap screws into) and that worked, code went away

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use the OE gas cap; they're not cheap but aftermarket parts don't seem to always play well. Also, as recommended, clean the filler neck and surfaces and use a little silicone lube on the mating surfaces. Get that cap tight when you fill the tank.

You could also do a purge-and-seal evap test to help determine the source of the problem. It may not be the gas cap, even though resetting it or replacing it seems to correct the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts