2004 Denali AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a good explanation of how this awd works. How is it better than rear wheel drive? Is it a good system in the rain and snow? Is there an advantage over 2wd on dry roads?

I have the awd just don’t know if and how it helps me.

Thanks

Rivelite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the ability to have all four wheel receive torque instead of just the rear ones greatly increase your traction in slippery conditions. A vehicle's AWD system is always sending torque to all for wheels all of the time and depending on the sophistication of the system, can redirect more or less power to the wheels that are slipping without driver input. With dry conditions, assuming the surface is clear of loose debris, AWD vs RWD really wont make a difference. Generally speaking it's easier to say if you don't drive in snow, rain, tow or have loose gravel that you travel on then AWD really is not necessary.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Denali with a blown, cammed motor and on wet pavement it just launches. In snow it’s awesome too. Dry, if it was RWD it would light up the tires but I have a real hard time getting any wheel spin even at over 400 hp. I love it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Besides the additional grip with AWD on slick roads of any kind and even a better feel on dry roads, I always felt the brakes were more efficient on slick roads with AWD.

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I originally Loki g for 4 wheel drive. I mainly drive “on the road” so the awd should be helpful with rain snow and towing. Seems like it is helpful. Since the truck is old I wasn’t sure if and how the technology worked.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I originally Loki g for 4 wheel drive. I mainly drive “on the road” so the awd should be helpful with rain snow and towing. Seems like it is helpful. Since the truck is old I wasn’t sure if and how the technology worked.
One thing to keep in mind is your tires. With an AWD, it is critical that all 4 tires match and have the same amount of wear on them so they are all pretty close in circumference. If not, you will risk damage to your drive train. Make sure you rotate regularly and replace all 4 of them as a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401