2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if your yoke is turned or not. Picture this: The driveshaft is gone and the back of your head is against the trans output, so you're looking straight at your rear pinion. You want your level, as it's stuck to that flat, to be straight up and down. Not angled any, such as with the top of it pointed towards the top right of the cab and the bottom pointed towards the bottom left wheel.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the "sweet spot" under power is parallel with the transmission, so you want to be 1-3* BELOW the transmission reading

going back and looking at your pictures it looks like you had the angle finder on the cast side of the transmission yoke also (that is probably tapered)

dub has got you goin in the right direction... i just wanted to jump in to clarify

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I skimmed the ranger station article and I'm fairly certain that is angled down 6.5* as the little arrow on the device is pointing down. Let me go look at it again it's hard to tell anything when your upside down under it.

@randeez it is at ride height for the 6.5* measurement which means during acceleration it would likely be in the sweet spot of 1-3* correct?

Your trans output is angled downward (pointing toward the ground) 4.2°. You want your rear end to be pointing up at the trans 1° - 2° less, so your magic number is somewhere between 1.2° - 2.2°.

What may be throwing all of us off here is if you're turning the level around when moving it from the trans to the rear end. Measure it so that the digital display is facing the same direction (towards the driver's side or passenger side) for both measurements.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if your yoke is turned or not. Picture this: The driveshaft is gone and the back of your head is against the trans output, so you're looking straight at your rear pinion. You want your level, as it's stuck to that flat, to be straight up and down. Not angled any, such as with the top of it pointed towards the top right of the cab and the bottom pointed towards the bottom left wheel.

the "sweet spot" under power is parallel with the transmission, so you want to be 1-3* BELOW the transmission reading

going back and looking at your pictures it looks like you had the angle finder on the cast side of the transmission yoke also (that is probably tapered)

dub has got you goin in the right direction... i just wanted to jump in to clarify

Ok the yoke is perfectly up and down and I used a level to even out any imperfections in the yoke casting by bridging both surfaces. Looks like the yoke is point 6*-7* upwards which would explain my yoke hitting the bracket problem.

The purple circle is the dead bottom of the axle and the red circle is the yoke even with it showing the yoke position. 20200802_172507.jpg 20200802_172748.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With his being a manual and being subjected to hard launches, he may need 3° of preset angle!

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that was correct I will go do the trans side the same way and keep the digital dude facing the same way so to not confuse or skew results.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok the yoke is perfectly up and down and I used a level to even out any imperfections in the yoke casting by bridging both surfaces. Looks like the yoke is point 6*-7* upwards which would explain my yoke hitting the bracket problem.

The purple circle is the dead bottom of the axle and the red circle is the yoke even with it showing the yoke position. View attachment 253934 View attachment 253935

If the rear is angled UP 6°, then it's already pointed up too high. You need it pointed up about 2°-2.5° It rotates a degree or two or three under acceleration. As Randy said a couple posts back, you want the rear end to be at whatever angle the trans output is when under load (accelerating, etc.). This put the U-joints on each end of the driveshaft operating in unison- when one is tilted far in, it's counterpart is tilted far out Any mismatch in angle makes the U-joints fight against each other. The heavier the load they're under, the more in line they need to be.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that was correct I will go do the trans side the same way and keep the digital dude facing the same way so to not confuse or skew results.

Yes. This really is a quick and simple thing to measure. But conveying the results to us through pics and words makes it much more complicated. But, it has to be right so we have to all be on the same page.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. This really is a quick and simple thing to measure. But conveying the results to us through pics and words makes it much more complicated. But, it has to be right so we have to all be on the same page.

Yes that's correct the pinion is pointed 6*-7* upwards.

I agree it's hard to figure out how to say what we are trying to say and even harder fit fit my 6'4" 220lbs ass under a lowered Tahoe at ride height! I only have 9.5" to squeeze my gut under and try to work effectively. :jester:.
20200802_174610.jpg

Ok here I go squeezing under the front now to get that measurement. Standy......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076