2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My s10 did that. Pulled the assembly to replace the pump and the little hose from the pump to the top of the sending unit was rubbing the spring and it had worn a tiny hole in it. That caused it to bleed off until I tried to start it. I had no other issues, just long crank on initial startup
I was thinking something like that, if it was the actual pump failing it likely wouldn't WOT well.
Time to drop the tank and see what’s going on. How old is the pump?

FML I might go the "Cut the hole in the floor method", the pump is probably the factory 2004 pump. Not sure what I want to replace it with either, not sure if the flex-fuel pumps are any better or direct fit, it's been a while since I've looked at fuel stuff.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking something like that, if it was the actual pump failing it likely wouldn't WOT well.

FML I might go the "Cut the hole in the floor method", the pump is probably the factory 2004 pump. Not sure what I want to replace it with either, not sure if the flex-fuel pumps are any better or direct fit, it's been a while since I've looked at fuel stuff.
It’s not hard at all to drop the tank. Way easier than going through the hassle of cutting and patching a hole in the floor. Unless you plan on replacing the pump on a regular basis. Just siphon or pump all the fuel out. Pull the filler hose off and stick a hose in. Also, FYI, the FPR is part of the pump assembly on yours so it could be that. On my 02 it’s on the fuel rail. Mine was failing and letting pressure bleed off and I was able to replace it easily. If yours is bad, replacing the pump assembly is the best bet since you might as well while you’re there. Plus the age of the pump. It’s going to go out sooner or later, better to do it when it’s not a ways from home.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

FF pumps are different from non-FF; I don't believe they're interchangeable. The FF pump has two fuel lines on it, and I think non-Flex has 3.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not hard at all to drop the tank. Way easier than going through the hassle of cutting and patching a hole in the floor. Unless you plan on replacing the pump on a regular basis. Just siphon or pump all the fuel out. Pull the filler hose off and stick a hose in. Also, FYI, the FPR is part of the pump assembly on yours so it could be that. On my 02 it’s on the fuel rail. Mine was failing and letting pressure bleed off and I was able to replace it easily. If yours is bad, replacing the pump assembly is the best bet since you might as well while you’re there. Plus the age of the pump. It’s going to go out sooner or later, better to do it when it’s not a ways from home.

Ugh, I so don't want to mess with the tank period. I can't remember if these are return or returnless. I know 05 is returnless because I converted my RCSB to return style with a Walbro450, but the Walbro only lasted about 2 years which kinda ticked me off.

I guess I'd be a fool to throw a factory pump in if they are only good for 450ish hp and I eventually plan to do some mild forum of boost. Maybe go with a brushless Aeromotive this time around.

FF pumps are different from non-FF; I don't believe they're interchangeable. The FF pump has two fuel lines on it, and I think non-Flex has 3.
That's what I figured, darn, I was hoping for an easy OEM upgrade.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a top pic of my '04 Flex fuel tank with a new pump gasket and ring. Top in pic is front of truck. Evap lines are on the righthand (passenger) side and fuel lines would be on the lefthand side on top. Seems like the fill tube vent line connection (aqua colored) on mine is next to the fill tube connection, but I think non-Flex are different there, too.

2021-08-15 Fuel Tank.jpg

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a top pic of my '04 Flex fuel tank with a new pump gasket and ring. Top in pic is front of truck. Evap lines are on the righthand (passenger) side and fuel lines would be on the lefthand side on top. Seems like the fill tube vent line connection (aqua colored) on mine is next to the fill tube connection, but I think non-Flex are different there, too.

View attachment 353866

Great picture! I will have to get under mine and compare best I can.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No! Please no! Not the dreaded rabbit hole! :eek:

What pump do you have @Rocket Man ?
Stock pump for mine. The 02’s had a big enough pump for 450 Hp, I’m not planning on anything past that. I did try a smaller pulley on the blower but ran into injector duty issues and from what I can figure I would need a bigger (or dual) pump, 2 bar speed density tune as well as injectors. I backed away from that rabbit hole. Whipple made the decision easier because you need to pull the blower to swap injectors out. Stupid design but I’m not pulling that thing. The Allen head bolts in the back by the firewall are about impossible to get to. I’m ok with what it is. I’m all about dependability now, and I know if I start adding more power I’ll just start breaking other stuff anyway. :cool:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock pump for mine. The 02’s had a big enough pump for 450 Hp, I’m not planning on anything past that. I did try a smaller pulley on the blower but ran into injector duty issues and from what I can figure I would need a bigger (or dual) pump, 2 bar speed density tune as well as injectors. I backed away from that rabbit hole. Whipple made the decision easier because you need to pull the blower to swap injectors out. Stupid design but I’m not pulling that thing. The Allen head bolts in the back by the firewall are about impossible to get to. I’m ok with what it is. I’m all about dependability now, and I know if I start adding more power I’ll just start breaking other stuff anyway. :cool:

I feel that on the reliability part.

I think I'm gonna do a OEM replacement bucket/pump and in the future do an inline Boost-a-pump for future power. The guys at PT.net talked me into it. the BAP should supply enough fuel for 600+ and thats more than I ever want in this thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE