2004 5.3L Tahoe Proportioning Valve/ ABS/ Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Thanks Alot Everyone for all the great information. I didn't get much done today but I got a good start for tomorrow.

So my coolant leak is at least in 2 locations. The black quick heater connecter and the weephole on the water pump. I have a warranty on the pump so shouldn't have issues there.

With the hydrobooster it is leaking from the center split. I took some foam degreaser to it all and that helped but I didn't get from the bottom up so things still have fluid on them but I'll get to that soon.

I do my best to keep up with maintenance but I really do have ro start doing brake and steering fluid.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the information. It's definitely came in handy

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The heater hose connector coolant leak is explained in several threads. Read them carefully.

Now to the "elephant in the room". Was it made clear somewhere in this thread, before now, that you have a hydro-boost instead of vacuum boost? I even referenced the vacuum booster. I give up.

chooch502

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like a hydroboost seal leak.Is it oily on the proportioning valve bracket ? Brake fluid will wash away with water, power steering fluid wont.Red dish fluid next to red arrow doesn't look like brake fluid. I wouldn't start tearing brake lines loose till your sure the line is bad.
Mike

OP
OP
K

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Hello, so this is what my booster looks like. It's leaking from the middle down onto the valve, etc. So i just went and got another set up and going to install it soon. Ive seen videos of just purchasing a kit and all but id that doesn't work for me im right back where i started so i just got another set up. ( I just borrowed this picture. It's not mine just using for reference purposes)

With these is there a difference with 2wd and 4x4? Just wondering

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_212037_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_212037_eBay.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 6

chooch502

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, so this is what my booster looks like. It's leaking from the middle down onto the valve, etc. So i just went and got another set up and going to install it soon. Ive seen videos of just purchasing a kit and all but id that doesn't work for me im right back where i started so i just got another set up. ( I just borrowed this picture. It's not mine just using for reference purposes)

This is the seal kit; https://piratejack.net/2771004x-hydro-boost-repair-kit/
Worth a shot if you can wait. A J/Y unit would get you back on the road faster. 2500s had them if your in the pick n pull.
Mike

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Pretty common failure on a hydroboost is the seals to start leaking and you will get fluid leaking at the meeting point of the master cylinder and the hydroboost. Its power steering fluid is what is leaking out. The hydroboost has no brake fluid in it, it runs off of power steering fluid pressure from the p/s pump.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty common failure on a hydroboost is the seals to start leaking and you will get fluid leaking at the meeting point of the master cylinder and the hydroboost. Its power steering fluid is what is leaking out. The hydroboost has no brake fluid in it, it runs off of power steering fluid pressure from the p/s pump.
You can overhole the hydro boost with a sealing kit...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can overhole the hydro boost with a sealing kit...

Sure "you" can but there is not a warranty if done yourself. Most bores should be lightly honed to get rid of ridges and create a better sealing surface for the new seals and most people done have a hone at home. And there is the case that some people are just better off without tools in their hands.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure "you" can but there is not a warranty if done yourself. Most bores should be lightly honed to get rid of ridges and create a better sealing surface for the new seals and most people done have a hone at home. And there is the case that some people are just better off without tools in their hands.
That is true, but at an Audi you can't repair such a part. There are simply no seal kits available and mostly parts, are not simple to open with screws, like on our trucks. So if you are able to repair stuff like this, and I don't think this is really complicated, then you can do it yourself...

If you search for an Audi, or Mercedes brake booster for overhaul in YouTube, you will find nothing, because of these reasons.

Even if you have to buy such a tool, to sand or hone your bore..

That is a very nice speciality at our cars. :cool:
That is one of the major reasons why I fell in love with this truck so much... In these days a big value itself.

Tazman100

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know what those lines are called? My 04 needs them as well and I can't find them, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10