2002 yukon Z71 thermostat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s1ic3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello all, and thanks for a most excellent and informative forum,

Gawd i'm dumb, its a 2002 tahoe z71 5.3 l vortec with 150,000, sorry for the confusion I seem to mix up the tahoe/yukon since its new to me.
I recently developed a slow coolant leak and could see evidence of leaking from the bottom bolt of the thermostat, so I ordered an ac delco tstat that was matched to the ac delco water pump that was appropriate for a 2002 yukon Z71 with front and rear heat/ac. the water pump I also ordered just in case the leak wasn't limited to the tstat.
it turns out that I replaced the tstat only and sent the pump back.
As it turns out prior the the tstat swap the coolant temp ran pretty much between 185 to 190 and the one that came out was marked 187 degrees. The one that went in had no markings. Everything seemed to go fine and the amount of coolant that came out pretty much matched the amount that went back in, my issue is the coolant temps now run pretty steadily between 196 and 198 so obviously (to me) the tstat that replaced the old one wasn't the same.
Welp, not being by any means a mechanic im not sure if I should replace the new one with a confirmed 187 degree tstat or if it ok to run a little bit hotter, sadly google is not my friend and all i've been able to find are articles having to do with the finer points of running the engine hotter or cooler. I also can't seem to locate info on what exactly is the temp the engine should be running at. I need help!

and thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

s1ic3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I had the system burped, but i'll go another round with it, I found a great how to on the forum here so i'll try that again in the am.
thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your thermostat temp is an opening temp, and the engine will run hotter than that, depending on the efficiency of the cooling system. 200°-210° F is normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yusefs257