2002 Yukon XL Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artist81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Yukon XL with 330,000 miles and will spend the next few years upgrading and having major work completed to rebuild the Yukon (new engine, transmission, interior, etc.).

I have some front end work that needs to be done, so I'm starting the rebuild with the suspension. The original plan was to have a suspension lift installed on the truck (2-3) inches. However, I'd like to keep the self-levelling shocks in the rear, and I can't get the right answer from anyone on exactly what type of kit I would need to accommodate that shock system, and if special modifications would need to be done in the process. If anyone has specific links to kits that would work, and/or any additional information regarding any needed modifications that might need to be done (I would need to get that info to my mechanic ahead of any type of installation), I'd love to hear it.

Since the suspension lift seemed to be too daunting a task, I had considered maybe just installing a levelling kit for the front end and replacing (or, upgrading) all of the suspension components in the front and rear of the truck. I'll mainly be using the truck for towing or back country camping. Could someone suggest upgrade options for any/all of my suspension components? I'd be interested in how any upgrades would be better or worse than just replacing with OEM parts that are new and meant for this model. Links to any/all of these parts would be great!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

Is your suspension the Premium Smooth Ride (RPO codes ZW7/G65) with the Nivomat rear shocks?

OP
OP
Artist81

Artist81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

Is your suspension the Premium Smooth Ride (RPO codes ZW7/G65) with the Nivomat rear shocks?
Thanks for the question. I'm not sure about the terms Premium Smooth Ride or Nivomat pertaining to the shocks, but I looked in the glove box for the RPO codes and found both of those codes (ZW7 and G65).

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The combo of those two codes means it came with Premium Smooth Ride.

G65 designates the non-air self-adjusting Nivomat shocks in the rear, if they're still on there. If those are ever changed, the coil springs must also be changed to a stiffer spring. Otherwise things get squirrely on the road.

OP
OP
Artist81

Artist81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear shocks are not the original, but in order to save on some costs a few years ago, I replaced those shocks from another 02 Yukon that was at the Pull & Pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos

Latest posts