2001 Yukon Cabin Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGB1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been changing both cabin air filters under the dash on the passenger side in my 2001 Yukon every couple of years. One is called the “front” filter and the other is the “rear” filter. Does anyone know if this is referring to the front ac and the rear ac or is it referring to the position the two of them are installed in? I’m wondering if there is a separate cabin filter for the rear ac located somewhere else that I need to change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m in for even a possibility of a rear filter. All my vehicles have them (now) and two of them had to have the set up from an earlier model year added to the HVAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be nice. I don't think my rear air has a filter, however, it only recirculates cabin air.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Your right. GM does refer to a rear filter. It seems two filters are fitted to the same filter slot. The rear filter is slid in first and the 2nd filter is considered the front filter. There’s two in the early vehicles.

OP
OP
R

RGB1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Everyone that said there isn’t a filter for the rear HVAC is correct. My rear HVAC blower developed a squeak that I couldn’t get rid of by lubrication. The motor is sealed in such a way that you can’t even get to the bearings to oil them. I found a replacement motor online for about $23 and replaced it. When I took the interior right rear trim panel off I saw that the blower simply pulls cabin air through the slots in the rear trim panel and recirculates it through the cabin. The path the air takes is rather crude and GM uses the exterior quarter panel as the outside of the “duct” that the air travels through. Anyway, I was surprised that there was no rear air filter since they do a really good job of filtering the air for the front HVAC unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The package your cabin filter comes in has two filters in it both are the same size. The opening to install the filters is too small for one big filter so it takes two smaller filters to completely fill the space for the Heater Core.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your right. GM does refer to a rear filter. It seems two filters are fitted to the same filter slot. The rear filter is slid in first and the 2nd filter is considered the front filter. There’s two in the early vehicles.

Correct. Unless your replacing a blower motor or working under the dash on the passenger side of these trucks you would probably not even notice the small heater box door which covers the filter opening.