2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali: What I've Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to sell my beloved 2001 Denali. I moved up to a 2013 Yukon XL 2500! A thread about the purchase is here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ving-up-from-2001-gmc-yukon-xl-denali.109814/.

I've owned this one since August of 2016 and spent about two months searching for it. I've put in a few thousand dollars of repairs. It drives amazingly well. But it's time to go.

This is a build log to help me remember everything I've done, including the links for some particularly difficult to find parts and my experiences with them. It will be everything I wish I had known when I bought this one.

But this is what I do: buy trucks, love them, keep them for a few years, try to fix everything, and sell them in better condition than I purchased, with maybe 5-10k miles on them. I don't actually drive much! Just a few big road trips a year, and groceries really.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this vehicle from a mechanically inclined individual. He was owner #3. Owner #1 was a doctor and owner #2 was picky but had a large family. The truck has, apart from road trips, spent its entire life in Central Texas. Even at 178k miles it's my benchmark for "rust free truck".

I *think* owner #3 was active on this forum? He mentioned the forum when I purchased the vehicle, but then disappeared off the face of the earth (as the sellers of used cars are often wise to do).

I wish I had spent more time here "stalking" that vehicle. It's always nice to see exactly what's been done to it.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most recent upgrade I did to the Denali was new headlights. I'd been debating it for years. Well, they were a quick install, made a world of difference, and can be upgraded to LEDs.

I went with the Depo headlights. 335-1114L-AC and 335-1114R-AC. I ended up paying about $300 for the pair online.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's for sale locally.

Some kid tried to lowball me of course. The conversation went something like this?

Will you accept $1000 less than your asking price?
No, I will not. The asking price is set. I'm getting plenty of interest at this price.

But I have that exact amount in cash in my pocket right now!
That's great! You're only $1000 away from buying my truck!

What's your absolute lowest price?
It's what I've posted. If it doesn't sell in two or so weeks I'll reconsider the price.

Okay great! Can you call me back in two weeks when you lower the price?
No. It's your responsibility to call me to see if the vehicle is still available.

Kids these days.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was meaning to repair the running board right by the driver's seat.

One of the running board brackets is bent, and has pulled away from the fiberglass running board.

This is a really simple repair. I was able to find the running board bracket, 15007929, on eBay. I need to find a piece of aluminum plate, epoxy it to the running board using my favorite 3M DP460 epoxy, drill some holes, and replace the bracket. This would make things good as new.

The vehicle is sold, though. Maybe the new owner will complete this repair.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In October of 2017 I replaced the vent caps. They came from Street Scene. http://www.streetsceneeq.com/mm5/me...eetsceneeq&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=950-70158. The note about how they "do not fit Denali models" is a lie, at least for my 2001. A local body shop helped me with the install and secured them with RTV sealant.

45360412154_054a798ec7_k.jpg

They look really sharp and really modernized the appearance of the rear end. I always hated the "hornet's nest" vent caps on the NBS trucks.

But! I'm nearly certain that these drastically cut through the cabin ventilation. Wondering how GM handles the problem on the NNBS GMT900, it looks like they added holes to the inside face of the vent caps.

IMG_20190217_124221.jpg

If I still had the vehicle, I would cut these holes into the sides of the vent caps to improve airflow.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, pictures of what, exactly? Not of the running board bracket, or the part that needs repair.

I have a bunch of general photos of the vehicle at https://www.flickr.com/photos/84348724@N07/sets/72157676484539877 . Is there something in particular you wanted to see?
Just thought you’d post pics of the vehicle in the thread here but those will do fine now that you posted that link. What did you end up selling it for if you don’t mind me asking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon