2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali: What I've Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$4500. A little less than I would have liked but it lead to a quick no haggle sale. The buyer got a good vehicle in exchange, albeit with a minor oil leak.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$4500. A little less than I would have liked but it lead to a quick no haggle sale. The buyer got a good vehicle in exchange, albeit with a minor oil leak.
Damn that was a bargain, buyer got a smokin deal! Especially with that mileage on it. I just bought an 05 Tahoe with 250k miles for $3500.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that was a bargain, buyer got a smokin deal! Especially with that mileage on it. I just bought an 05 Tahoe with 250k miles for $3500.

Well, that's what I thought when I picked it up 2.5 years ago with ~170k miles for $5000. But then I've looked at the repair bills for the past two years and maybe it wasn't such a bargain after all.

Maybe the new owner will fix an oil leak and get 10 years and 100k miles of completely maintenance free operation. Maybe he'll need to put a bunch more money into it. I don't know. It's very difficult to know. This is why I decided it was time to cut my losses and double down on the newer 3/4 ton.

For example, a month and a half ago it threw a code for a crankshaft position sensor. Completely out of the blue. No warning. I got that fixed right away, because if it gets bad, it won't start. Not something I want to deal with on a hot summer day in Texas with the family in tow.

My problem is shipwright's disease. I don't like leaks, odors, or peeling paint.

Vehicle expenses follow a bathtub curve over time: you pay depreciation on a new one and maintenance on an old one. I caught this one on the tail end of the curve. Hopefully the one that replaced it, I caught right in the middle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be but the NBS are the most dependable platform out there. They don’t generally require much in the way of repairs if maintained well, unlike most of the newer ones. If you can do some minor repair work they’re a bargain and 300-500k mileages are common.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess. I don't have the time to do much repair work myself with young children. I wouldn't consider broken exhaust manifold bolts a minor repair by any means. Anything that involves welding near the engine block is major by my standards. Minor to me is a drive belt, an air filter, maybe an oil change.

The reason I was careful to select a 3/4 ton NNBS was because it carries over some of the most reliable parts of the NBS (engine block, much of the frame), fixes a number of defects (electric cooling fans, better transmission), and loses many of the other NNBS reliability regressions (Z55, DOD/AFM).

I'm sure my newer 3/4 ton will have issues as well. I'm expecting it will need a new AC soon, they don't last long out here. Hopefully by the time the really bad stuff hits I can start fixing more of it myself.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broken exhaust manifold bolts on these can be fixed without welding or bolt removal; there’s at least 2 companies including Kral that make clamps that work great and only take a few minutes to install. That crank position sensor is one bolt that is accessible by just moving the starter out of the way. Air filter, oil change, belt is maintenance not repair but I understand you not having time to do repair with young kids. I find it too expensive to not do it myself, plus I trust no one to do it. Shops just try to rip you off. I just ended up buying tools instead of paying labor every time, learned how to do it by using this forum and YouTube, and now I do nearly everything myself. Even learned how to things like swap cams, install a supercharger, etc.

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the best luck going direct to mechanics. The guy I used to go to was the head mechanic at a local big garage before he had a falling out with the idiot manager and did his own thing. He's too busy to help me out these days, and it's a bit far. One of the neighbor's sons is my age and is a full time mobile mechanic so I have him help me out sometimes. He's not the cheapest but he has kids too so I don't mind paying for his time.

Now where I do save money is in parts.

I'm hoping that by the time I need to start doing any real repairs, that the kids are old enough to help and I can involve them. Hard to do that with a three year old.

Konrad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The most recent upgrade I did to the Denali was new headlights. I'd been debating it for years. Well, they were a quick install, made a world of difference, and can be upgraded to LEDs.

I went with the Depo headlights. 335-1114L-AC and 335-1114R-AC. I ended up paying about $300 for the pair online.

Hi. I've got one offtop question (I know the thread is old :) ) - do these light have beams with the cut-off line? Like in the sample pic attached.

beam cutoff.jpg

OP
OP
J

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Konrad I'd love to give you an answer but I sold the vehicle within two months of that final post. :( There was a burning oil odor that I was unable to run down and I moved to a 2013 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4WD (a Unicorn of a vehicle - I've not seen another except for here).

What I do recall is that the lights I purchased were not *quite* a perfect replacement. The fit was spot on but the lenses were slightly tweaked. They worked fine but I'm not sure I ever turned on the beams, and if I did, it wasn't at a wall.

Good luck.

Konrad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Konrad I'd love to give you an answer but I sold the vehicle within two months of that final post. :( There was a burning oil odor that I was unable to run down and I moved to a 2013 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLT 4WD (a Unicorn of a vehicle - I've not seen another except for here).

What I do recall is that the lights I purchased were not *quite* a perfect replacement. The fit was spot on but the lenses were slightly tweaked. They worked fine but I'm not sure I ever turned on the beams, and if I did, it wasn't at a wall.

Good luck.
Thanks. Right now I've got some chinese lights with halo LEDs etc and I was thinking to replace them with sth more standard like these Depo ones. The only problem is that they must have this cutoff line in my country (Poland). Otherwise there will be problems during the annual technical inspection :)

Wysłane z mojego MI 9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk