2000 Escalade Engine Remove & Replace UPPER BELL HOUSING BOLTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKGirlPilot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We, my husband and myself, are in the process of doing an engine R&R on my 2000 Cadillac Escalade, and are fighting with the UPPER BELL HOUSING BOLTS. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to reach them. They are extremely tight and so far we‘ve been unable to break them loose.

Before I get a bunch of smart a** comments, my husband has been building cars and airplanes for decades so he does have considerable experience as well as tools. It’s not as if he is some sort of idiot or Newbee, his street rods have won numerous awards and the airplanes bring top top dollar. The only reason I mention this is because I’ve read some of the less than helpful comments that been made by some members.
Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive not pulled a engine out of one of these, "yet" knock on wood. but some cars/trucks you can use a long, i mean long extension and get them from under the truck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the trans crossmember, let the trans/engine droop in the rear, get about a 3-4’ extension (Harbor Freight is your friend) and get them from the back of the transmission (over the top) so you have room to work the ratchet. Don’t try to get them from up close, you have no leverage. You can put a cheater pipe on the ratchet if needed. Remember some of those have nuts first that hold either the trans dipstick or wiring harness, and once the nuts are off there’s studs. There’s 2 or 3 stud/nut locations and the rest are just bolts.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We, my husband and myself, are in the process of doing an engine R&R on my 2000 Cadillac Escalade, and are fighting with the UPPER BELL HOUSING BOLTS. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to reach them. They are extremely tight and so far we‘ve been unable to break them loose.

Before I get a bunch of smart a** comments, my husband has been building cars and airplanes for decades so he does have considerable experience as well as tools. It’s not as if he is some sort of idiot or Newbee, his street rods have won numerous awards and the airplanes bring top top dollar. The only reason I mention this is because I’ve read some of the less than helpful comments that been made by some members.
Thanks for the responses.

The method that Rocket Man mentioned is how trans shops do it. I've always been diving into the engine so I've had the heads off, making access from the top easy, practically easier than the lower four. A few members report that it's almost as easy as that with the intake manifold removed. For ease of engine removal, I'd have the intake manifold off, anyway. Here's my documentation of those top four bolts: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1455923

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo