2000 Escalade 302 Engine Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000Escalade302

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Escalade 5.7Vortec w typical spun bearing issue. Inherited a 400 Cid chevy race motor out of a drag boat w sig erson heads,cam, roller valve train, unknown internals, torker2 intake and a 1968 302 z28 motor w performer intake. I'm disabled and broke and just want a daily driver and want to swap one of the motors to get me around. I have an hei distributor, wires too. I was going to use the performer intake and pickup a new edelbrock carb for intake. Last 400 I had was ridiculous at like 8mpg so probably going with 302 and put a matching performer cam or some kinda rv low torque towing cam in it. Motor will run on its own but how will this effect the transmission operation and shift points? Will I need some kind of outside signal box for the transmission to work properly and what about the engine ecm computers functioning now effecting other systems, sensors, Guage etc. What about just using my 302 or 400 blocks with the existing vortec heads and crap spider injection intake manifold and throttle body.? Might have to rebuild what i have or fond another wrecked gm truck or suv with a 5.7 vortec and pull n swap, but refresh oil pump, gaskets, etc. What cam suggestion too for a vortec 5.7 for towing power amd fuel mileage?I just want a normal driving reliable vehicle with good gas mileage.im 60 not 16. Any suggestions would be helpful.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I feel like you will spend as much money making one of those engines work as you would on a used 5.7 to drop in. Could be up and running in a weekend.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've probably got a small fortune in the 302 it that's what it really is. Sell it and get a reman 5.7. The old SBC's just won't have the electronics needed to be compatible in the Escalade.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah short of machining the balancer shorter sobyou can use the 5.7 crank trigger with the 5.7 timing cover. Then run and tune the whole 400 with the stock computer so you can run the current drivetrain.... you should just get a 5.7 to drop in it.
The 302 even if you could make the transmission work with it, would net you crap mpg and require premium gas at a minimum assuming it has its original 11 or 11.5 compression. And having had a chevy 302.... yeah it wont be happy pulling a heavy suv. And putting a towing or rv cam in it will compound the compression issue by raising the dynamic compression.
Dont get me wrong it can be done, i would use the 400, but on the cheap i would get a used 5.7 and be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN