2 Door exhaust needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 2 door with 5.7 Engine; truck is 100% stock, 200K miles with just a Denali center console as an upgrade,
After 22 years the muffler has finally let go on this vehicle.
It was in the south for the 15 years of its life but in NH winters for the past 7 years.

I don't really want to spend big bucks for a 100% "custom" exhaust.

What is available at this point for an aftermarket exhaust system?
Anything to stay away from?
anyone have the stock GM PNs?
Thanks in advance
Tbruz

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, from a fellow New Hampshire-ite. My Yukon also spent most of its life in the South, before I purchased it.

Are you talking about a Yukon?

First, I recommend that you contact a local GM Dealer and obtain the correct GM part number, by giving them your VIN number. Also, get a price from them on a stock replacement muffler, and that will serve as your benchmark price (most likely the highest that you will find).

Then, you can check around at your local auto parts stores, using the correct GM part number given to you be the GM Dealer, as a cross-reference, and obtain competitive prices.

You can also check on Rock Auto, which has replacement mufflers for a 1997 Yukon, ranging from $42 to $85. (I also see a note on Rock Auto that states, if the existing exhaust system is welded, they recommend considering replacing the entire exhaust system.)

Other folks on this Forum will chime in with their perspectives and recommendations.

Good luck!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to replace just the muffler? Or maybe the Y pipe and cats too. Or some exhaust tubing that may be bad too? I have a 1998 2 door and replaced worn out cats with the stainless Y pipe "high flow" cats from Magna Flow. Good product. Sometime later, I replaced just the muffler with a stainless one from Magna Flow. The drone is too loud in the truck at certain rpm's. Dont know the model number but it's a dual in and single out like the factory muffler was. I'm currently thinking about the 70 series muffler from flow master. The damn drone from 1900 to 2400 rpms is not good.

OP
OP
T

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updating this thread for future reference. No GM stock available for the muffler/tailpipe combo pn 15742009. I picked up a mint muffler/tailpipe off of a four door figuring I'd make that work; unfortunately the outlet pipe on the 4 door muffler is on the opposite side than the 2-door outlet and it interferes with the rear shock mount. Ended up with a Walker pn 21504.
Thanks
Tbruz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224