1999 Tahoe Camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremyhuskers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1999 Tahoe LT
5.7 vortec
4x4 4dr

I cant seem to find a camshaft for my tahoe that'll work. I dont want anything crazy. If it requires head work then I'd prefer to stay away. Thank you!

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Any "bigger" cam you stick in the L31 is going to need a spring upgrade. I'm not sure what you consider head work, but to a novice that may qualify as head work. If by headwork you mean machine work for more lift then fear not. There are numerous drop in spring kits that will allow much larger cam profiles without any machine work or clearancing.

There is an equal or greater concern for being able to use the specs of a bigger cam with the factory induction & fueling setup and the stock "tune" though.

The GM ramjet (same as GM HT383/mercruiser marine 5.7) cam is an upgrade over stock, via a hair more duration and lift and slightly different valve timing. It's definitely enough to notice, and while not absolutely optimal it will run on the stock tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094