1999 LS Tahoe rear brake disk conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqsa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here I am fixing another issue after thinking I had finally gotten them all. My driver-side brake is busted. The left shoe inside the drum has dug up under the "anchor piece" (not sure the proper name. little bottom metal piece with 2 rivets in it.) This is causing the shoes to not properly push on the caliper to the point that the caliper comes all the way out and shoots out all my brake fluid in a minute or less which obviously causes other problems.

That said; my question now is do I go ahead and drop the $450-600 on a drum to disc conversion kit or is there an easier fix such as possibly punching/drilling out the old piece and bolting in a new one?

OP
OP
C

cqsa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also quick specs: 1999 Chevy Tahoe LS 2dr 4x4 5.7 V8

OP
OP
C

cqsa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its the piece on part 27 just left of part 18

1624898296464.png

OP
OP
C

cqsa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From my understanding to remove the backing plate requires taking the axle out which I'd like to avoid if I can

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, axle removal required for backing plate. Change Axle seal Also.

Bighoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here I am fixing another issue after thinking I had finally gotten them all. My driver-side brake is busted. The left shoe inside the drum has dug up under the "anchor piece" (not sure the proper name. little bottom metal piece with 2 rivets in it.) This is causing the shoes to not properly push on the caliper to the point that the caliper comes all the way out and shoots out all my brake fluid in a minute or less which obviously causes other problems.

That said; my question now is do I go ahead and drop the $450-600 on a drum to disc conversion kit or is there an easier fix such as possibly punching/drilling out the old piece and bolting in a new one?
Hey man, did you figure a fix? I have the same problem. An old fix I found on it after I bought it was the rivets were drilled and bolts installed and the outside arched piece hammered flat and reinstalled. I did the same thing but looking for a more permanent solution without removing the axle to replace the backing plate.
TiA!

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got some real terminology problems causing a lack of communication. If you thingy at the bottom of the backing plate is broken you need a new backing plate. Yes you need to remove the axle to replace it. If the other backing plate is looking bad I'd replace it too, seeing how it's 23 years old it's probably well worn. If you pull the axles replace the seals with quality seals. There's a good chance the brake shoes are warped now and possibly were installed wrong at one time, I find that common with this style brakes. I would also replace the wheel cylinders and any hardware that doesn't look good.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which may be cheaper to convert than spend money on old school brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63