2000 OBS (1999) chevy tahoe Z71 parking brake problem rear drums no disk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedub

Reaction score
Hello, I looked all over for info, couldn't find anything on this problem, so parking brake don't work, need it for boat ramp, I pull the drums off and I see its missing the spreader bar ? the bar with the spring on one end that goes to the parking brake arm and to the other shoe and sits right above the axle, missing on both sides? so I run to junk yard and find a 1999 1500 pick up, 10 bolt 6 lug, just like mine both 11" drums, I pull both bars thinking great this is all I need. go to put them in and they don't fit? slot is too narrow and the bar seems to short? what is going on here? someone has been through this already that's why they were both missing, Other GM brakes Ive done in the past, seems to me that bar would fit on parking brake arm and the shoe on one end? you think someone changed the rear end at some point or the backing plate? from the rust on the rear end it don't look like it, but it is a 21 year old truck, also the slot on the shoes and the slot on the parking brake arm are not even close to each other, wrong shoes? I don't think so all the hardware for the shoes works fine. something's been altered but I don't know what. Driving me nuts, maybe a wheel chock and a rope will have to do. any help would be great. thanks
P.S. I guess that Bar is called a parking brake strut

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have mix and match parts in the brakes- Why it was missing in the first place. Since you don't know maint schedule, condition, or fit. Start with the brake cylinders, Hardware kit, Shoes, Strut. Make sure your cables move. That is a minimum as your brakes probably don't work without the strut.

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, yeah I don't know why they are missing? and yes I talked to the people at brake and equipment warehouse here in Mn. that's all they do is brake's. I brought in the parking brake strut from the junk yard and they compared it to what the had in house and in the book's and said it same and should work, had 4 guy's trying to figure this out.....no luck. I looked at the RPO codes in the truck and it came with the 11" drums so I don't think the rear end was changed.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pedub- Since you are familiar with B&EW I suggest buying from them! They are an excellent resource and not many places left where you can get real help. And the shop in back can overhaul any brake like thing you have very reasonably. We gotta keep them in business.

bsamole

Reaction score
IMG_0001.jpg

This is a photo of my 1999 Tahoe 4x4 rear brake shoes but at the wrong angle. Hope it helps. I also had a problem with the ebrake cross member. You may notice mine is brand new. There may be different parts for each side but I don't remember since it has been a couple months since I did the repair. I had this Tahoe since new and have always done my own repairs so this is the original setup.

OP
OP
pedub

pedub

Reaction score
exp500, yes I agree, great place! been going there for years.
bsamole, thank you for the photo looks like it's the passenger side, yeah every thing look's the same, you don't recall what the problem was with the cross member? I'm gonna have to open it up again, maybe buy a whole kit? thanks again

bsamole

Reaction score
If my recollection is correct I believe one of the tabs was worn down as if it was placed on a grinder. I suspect that I had assembled it incorrectly during the last brake shoe replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons