1999 2500 Suburban 454 Talk me Out of It

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would offer them less than $5400 due to mileage. Even so, if it’s been maintained properly, should be in good shape. You can always take it to a transmission shop that does free diagnostics, pop the plug off the rear diff and stick your pinky in the oil to check, and some mechanics do pre-purchase inspections for cheap

OP
OP
turq

turq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for advice and info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean James

Reaction score
Yup, clearing codes sucks. The truck has to be driven for a couple drive cycles before they will reset the codes, making it difficult for a buyer, or even a mechanic to find issues. This is the only bad thing about buying used cars now. The weak point is the transmission, check the dipstick, smell, and see nice clean red/pink color. It better have no smells or forget it. Check the engine coolant, look under the radiator cap for any signs of oil or goopy gunk, could have intake or head gasket issues. listen for solid even idle, steady idle at start-up, when you turn the key it should not idle up and down real low and then back up, just nice and steady. Check the bottom and interior for excessive rust, look at the brake and gas pedal metal parts for rust...there are a lot of flood vehicles from all the hurricanes showing up all across the Country.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted the 2500’s demand a premium but that looks solid if the biggest issues are interior.

Barn doors and back doors are easy with a screwdriver and good clip popper. Get extra pins though if you do work on it, they’re 20 years old and sometimes come out in multiple pieces!

The driver door is a royal PITA to dig deep into, IMO

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the previous owner took care of it ( it looks like they did)..... As I did before I sold my great '88 GMC C 2500 last year with 392,000, I maintained the truck back-to-front & underside. ( I sold my truck with 5 month old Michelin's $$ )

.... and new tires?? No one buys new tires on a truck that they intended to junk.

It looks like a good deal, after you get a mechanic to raise it up & inspect everything underneath, inc. wheel movement, seals, rust, front end....

I like the Burb!!