1998 Yukon/Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

way wayne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new here and i am looking at buying a 1998 yukon with 209000km is there any advice on what to look out for on this vehicle i thank anybody who can help

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with any used vehicle, if you aren't qualified or confident enough to survey the vehicle yousrself, bring someone with you that is. Or make arrangements to have your mechanic look at it prior to purchasing.
Trucks of this vintage and generation (and with that mileage), be on the lookout for structural integrity issues like rot and rust if it has been in the salt belt. Fuel and brake lines are very susceptible so keep your eyes peeled for that. Salt can compromise the frame be advised as well. Check for unusual engine noise and transmission slippage when shifting. But these are great rigs and no major issues have kept me from buying (4) of them over the last 18 years. All of them used. Neglecting maintenance is this truck's only adversary in my experience. I only retired mine when the rust got to be too much.

And welcome to the site from NY!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

What @Hoesgottaeat2 said. If the seller balks at allowing you to inspect personally or taking to a shop, walk away asap.

Another thing, I am always wary of an owner that does not have paperwork showing maintenance and repairs done to the vehicle. If they have none, there is a chance the vehicle was bought at an auction and the seller is a "flipper".

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A potential negotiation item would be to ask when the lower intake gaskets were last replaced. If they’re the original gaskets, I’d assume that they’re leaking or about to. Caught early, it’s not a big deal. If it’s getting coolant into the oil, then that would be a different story.

It’s not a bad job to do them yourself, but I’d think that a shop would charge $800-$1000 or so depending on labor rates.

If you have a scanner, check for any codes (the VCM does report the duration since any codes were last cleared) and misfire counts by cylinder.

OP
OP
W

way wayne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A potential negotiation item would be to ask when the lower intake gaskets were last replaced. If they’re the original gaskets, I’d assume that they’re leaking or about to. Caught early, it’s not a big deal. If it’s getting coolant into the oil, then that would be a different story.

It’s not a bad job to do them yourself, but I’d think that a shop would charge $800-$1000 or so depending on labor rates.

If you have a scanner, check for any codes (the VCM does report the duration since any codes were last cleared) and misfire counts by cylinder.
Thank you thats good to know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65