1995 yukon ignition cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cod925

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can somebody please tell me how to change the ignition cylinder. it won't turn and my steering wheel won't turn. the wheels are sitting straight but i can't get the steering wheel to turn because the cylinder won't turn. any help would really be appreciated

young_2010_chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can somebody please tell me how to change the ignition cylinder. it won't turn and my steering wheel won't turn. the wheels are sitting straight but i can't get the steering wheel to turn because the cylinder won't turn. any help would really be appreciated[/QU

got to drill it out from my expeirnce

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to drill mine also, drill it, use a screw driver for the key. order a new cylinder , have a locksmith put the tumblers in

OP
OP
C

cod925

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what do you mean drill it out? i already have a new cylinder i just got it from auto zone. i just cant get the old one to come out because the steering wheel wont turn. why would i have to have a locksmith put in new tumblers wont everything be in the new cylinder. I really appreciate the help i'm not much of mechanic. Is there a way to get the steering wheel to turn without the key in the ignition

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
theres a little 2inch metal rod inside the column thats probably bent. i had to replace mine. it was only a couple bucks from GM. i still have the old one if you want a picture of it. the cylinder i dont think would matter, you have the key for it? and it works?

take off your cover around the steering wheel and see whats going on it inside it

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you mean drill it out? i already have a new cylinder i just got it from auto zone. i just cant get the old one to come out because the steering wheel wont turn. why would i have to have a locksmith put in new tumblers wont everything be in the new cylinder. I really appreciate the help i'm not much of mechanic. Is there a way to get the steering wheel to turn without the key in the ignition

just drill the middle of the lock out with a 1/2 in drill bit. Then then is a little clips on the side once you drill it out, pry that out then you will be able to turn the ignition. remove the coulmn cover . while turning the cylkinder there is a small hole on the back side, stick something in the whole with the cylinder in the start position and pull out. simply push the new cylinder in and your good to go. as for the tumblers, mine was an acdelco part that came without a key or tumblers. the locksmith put tumbles in to match my oroiginal key so all my locks were still the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA