$150 to spend, what to buy first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2001 Tahoe LT with the factory non-Base sound system with a factory sub. I'm no audiophile, but this system sounds like ass....no bass at all. I thought the driver's door speakers weren't working, but it turns out I just can't hear them while I'm driving. If I crank it up, it sounds okay, but still needs improvement. I found a thread on here where someone got improved sound after disconnecting their blown factory sub. My sub buzzes, so I disconnected it, but the sound didn't improve.

I'm eventually going to replace every audio component. But for now, I have $150 to spend via a reward given to me by my employer that can be used toward gift cards at a number of retailers, Crutchfield being one of them. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should replace first. I figure for $150 (or a little more) I can get two things. So if you were in my shoes, would you get for now:

• 2 sets of component speakers, one set each for the front and rear doors
  • 1 set of component speakers for the front doors, and a sub (only looking to put an 8" in the factory box)
  • 1 set of component speakers for the front doors, and an amp
  • Some other combination
I also understand that the factory system does the woofer/tweeter crossover at the amp. If I get a component system without the amp, I imagine I just need to hook them up to the factory wires without the new crossover until I get a new amp. Conversely, if I get a new amp without new speakers, I suppose I would need to add crossovers to the factory speakers?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the head unit first. It doesn't matter how good the speakers are if the signal going to them is crappy....

You still have a poor signal going to a new amp if you don't do the head unit first.

OP
OP
temper

temper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was hoping to get a double din in-dash GPS head unit along with the Metra replacement dash, which will put me a bit over budget if I do that now. But it's still tempting, so I'm not dismissing your suggestion just yet. Thanks for the quick reply.

OhFourChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely new head unit. it improves sound quality. Still wont have any bass whatsoever because of the bose system. it is a start in the right direction pioneer are the most popular double din headunit to get

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20